Amps and Quatros

I have a pair of Vandersteen Quatro speakers. I attended the Iraqi Mountain Audio Fest this weekend and heard several amplifiers that I liked, but I am having a hard time deciding what to get. Your help is appreciated.

I am considering Quicksilver V4, Manly Labs Snapper,mono blocking a pair of Blue Circle BC22s; pay McCormack 500; Cary V12 and perhaps Jolida.

Please also recommend a preamp. I MUST HAVE an XLR connection from the preamp to the amp because of the high pass filters on the Quatro's.

My room is 12 x 24 and acoustically treated. I use the equipment for home theater as well as music. I listen at levels between 75 and 85 dB. My music choice is quite varied: from Johnny Cash to Jethro Tull.

I appreciate your feedback.
128x128cajunbaseball
The only tube problem with the Calypso I can recall happened a couple of years ago with a bad batch of tubes. The problem was corrected long ago.
I have the Quatros, a Calypso, and am running an Audio Research 100.2 SS Power amp with outstanding results. I can't say enough about this power amp - if you can find one used it should go for about $1700 in excellent condition.
I would be careful with the McCormack 500, not because it's not a good amp. It's very nice sounding, but the input impedance is very low at 10K balanced (5K per leg) which is a problem with the Vandersteen M5HP high pass filters. Also, that circuit is not truly differential, which means you would probably get not benefit and potentially a downside to running it balanced XLR. I'm a Vandersteen dealer and have a customer right now who has that amp and it is not the best match for any Vandersteen system that requires the high pass filters.

In general, stick to amps that have higher input impedances for best compatibility and sound with the Vandersteen high pass filters.
I have Quatros with Audio Research Electronics - VM 220 mono amps, Ref 3 Preamp and PH-7 phono amp in a room about the size of yours and the sound is amazing. With decent recordings you can see right into the room they recorded in - even on FM. Great vinyl, Johnny Cash American Recordings I for example, sounds absolutely real. If its too high a budget, I suggest you plan on trading up when the price on the ARC gear starts coming down on Audiogon.
I drive my Quatros with Cyber 800 mono blocks & TacT 2.0 preamp/room correction.