passive preamp matching

wonder if someone could explain what a passive (no gain) preamp is vs a regular preamp. And how difficult is it to 'match' a passive preamp to other audio components.

Articles I have read mention being careful about output voltage and capacitance of cables used.

Wanted to know if a Mccormack TLC-1 would work well with a B7K 2140 poweramp.
keroo1099
Jsadurni, many thanks for your input. Will now send time figuring out volts/impedance of various components.
I have a Placette and love it.

http://www.placetteaudio.com/passive_line.htm

The owner will answer all your questions and they have a guide for passive users on the home page (placetteaudio.com)

Good luck. He has a satisfaction guarantee

ET
A very strong second to the Placette recommendation. Absolutely fantastic! Like finally opening a slightly dirty window to breath fresh air and see the view unobstructed. Hey, they should use me for ad copy, eh? My setup doesn't conform to the requirements suggested above. My amp input impedance is only 10K. The output of the Placette is 2K which is only five times lower, as opposed to the ten times suggested above. I don't know the output of my Muse Model 2 plus dac that is doing duty as the front end, and how that might come into play, but the system works perfectly with no quirkiness at all. Raising the volume is a bit strange as the high volumes that I'd normally associate with severe distortion, do not have any apparent. The volume goes up and down as smooth as silk. In my system it is very engaging, crystal clear, and exhibits no dynamic shortcomings, nor any compromises at the extremes. Bass response is outstanding, and much better than the Cary tube pre I had been using as a pinch-hitter in this system. In other words, it has no weaknesses in my system that I can tell. Oh, also, I'm using 2 meter IC's between Placette and the amp and 2 meters between source and Placette. Length of IC is supposedly another issue to be aware of. It's a wonderful way to go if it works in your system. I'd consult with Guy at Placette if you have specific concerns (or with whatever company you choose to go with).

Marco
This is the info I have got so far:

b&k St-2140 power: input 1.2v, imp 33200
Mccormack TLC-1 : input 1.02v, input imp 13000, output imp 250 buffered
No specs on the music hall cd25.2 (browsed the net)

Am I right to assume that the pre won't be a correct match with the power?
No, you're not. According to thisreport by J Atkinson at Stereophile, the TLC-1 you're considering should do OK with yr 33,2k amp -- if a bit uncertain at very low volumes.
You may want to try it at low volume level (say 8-9 o' clock). Again, however, on paper it should be fine.
BTW, it seems this device offers less than unity (i.e. full output lower than input).