passive preamp matching

wonder if someone could explain what a passive (no gain) preamp is vs a regular preamp. And how difficult is it to 'match' a passive preamp to other audio components.

Articles I have read mention being careful about output voltage and capacitance of cables used.

Wanted to know if a Mccormack TLC-1 would work well with a B7K 2140 poweramp.
keroo1099
Marco,
What amp(s) are you using? Your setup (at least the Placette and input impedence of the amp) sounds remarkably similar to mine. I have the Placette and simply love it also and the only thing that has tempted me otherwise is to audition the Placette active, but I'm very happy with the passive. My amps are the Odyssey Mono Extremes with input impedence of 10K ohms. And my IC's from the Placette to the amps are, like yours, 2 meters. As the to downside of this setup---none to my ears. I hear no problems with dynamics or anything else. Of course, maybe I got no ears....
"Am I right to assume that the pre won't be a correct match with the power?"
No the preamp will work just fine, you are in the 10 times rule all over, anyway the buffer in an active stage with no gain that is supposed to match impedance, thats why it has a lower output impedance than the input.
I am sure the Music hall should have about 250 ohms output or less, so you should be fine....its not passive though.
If you get a chance call Guy from Placette audio he is one of the nicest guys around and try one of his passives out!!
If you dont like it you can give it back!

Too bad he doesnt make a 1k unit!

All the best
thanks Jsadurni,
hopefully I should be able to pick up the Mccormack. If not will try and get my cousin to part with his quicksilver linestage. That too seems to be a very good preamp. Or if not was going to opt for a mccormack RLD-1 or sonic frontiers SFL-1
I am assuming that the cd player has normal input and output values.
No, no, your cd player doesn't have an input value -- don;t worry about that. All you're concerned with, is the output of your cdp -- usually 2V and whatever watt rating it has. It's ok really.