best preamps in the 4K-8K range

I'm looking for some opinions on preamps. My current system is: Ayre Cx-7 CD player, Arcam AV8 preamp, Cary 500 MB monoblocks (currently using arcam P7 preamp, but have the Carys on order), Dali euphonia MS4 speakers, Richard Gray Power. I find m current system nice, but slightly analytical, and not as 3-dimentional as I'd like. I'd also like some more musicality with a touch of warmth. I have been thinking about BAT, Cary, Herron and Pass labs preamps--some would need to be picked up used on audiogon to stay in my price range. I would certainly appreciate any thoughts on what might go well with my system from any audiogoners. Thanks
tcheathertree
Thanks guys for the great advice. I believe it was "tvad" who put it best when he said that I was looking for a Rolls, not a ferrari. I am interested in the VAC and Joule preamps...also cj, but I am reading that their recent preamps are not really warm in character....anyone have a comment on that?
01-09-07: Tcheathertree
Thanks guys for the great advice. I believe it was "tvad" who put it best when he said that I was looking for a Rolls, not a ferrari. I am interested in the VAC and Joule preamps...also cj, but I am reading that their recent preamps are not really warm in character....anyone have a comment on that?

Out of curiousity, have you heard the Cary amps yet?
I ask because I think the Cary amps will take you pretty far in the direction you want to go, compared to the Arcam amp. They might even change your preamp goals.

John
CJ's preamps still have warmth to them. My CT6 is very satisfying, and the CT5 is the next step up and a world class product.
there is only one which is used as the in store reference of many in the industry. CAT! untouchable for the value and the phono stage is better than Audio Research Ref Phono which is one of the few decent sounding products that ARthat they made. Check with postings as far as tube rolling. Older units give you more flexibility. Newer ultimates change to amperex ,noisy midrange heaven though and bass less control. tradeoffs !tradeoffs!highend audio!!!goog luck..with alot more dough asthetix, KOndo ,this is next level...good luck
RE CJ preamp
I heard the CT6 + the newest tube replacement for their 140wpc (160?) amp on some off shore plannars, this time last year.

Warm rich and full is not how I would characterize the current CJ tube line. At the same time I heard the cj 14 preamp too. Neutral is the watchword for CJ now. IMO.

The thing being overlooked here is if a tube preamp is being sought, changing out tubes in it opens the door to a fair amount of other choices in sonic quality.

Given what I read about Mr. Head of Cary (?), the big Cary SS monos were voiced to his top two anniversary tube amps. 805 & 211, I believe. i don't think given Cary's house sound, those amps are gonna be strickly SS sounding. personally, I'm real curious as to their properties. Playing them first seems the for sure thing to do prior to making any plunge into uncharted waters.

it might be hot to go, 'as is', once they get plugged in.

Good luck