what are some of the best amplifiers

I have owned many amplifiers over time. Some were high priced and some were not. My latest finding is a pair of Forte model 7 monoblocks reworked by John Sodderberg. These are very magical amplifiers after 1/2 hour of warm up. The midrange is the best I've heard. Full bodied yet detailed. There is a mystical ring of air and depth that has to be heard to be believed. I have owned Threshold amplifiers(Fortes maker) and feel that the less expensive Fortes(4a and 7's), even in stock form, outperform the Thresholds. I think less is more!
brucefrederick
Forte better than Threshold. OK I have a bridge here to sell you.

You talk to Nelson Pass about that one.

So a Forte Model 4a is going to outperform a Threshold SA/4e. Or Forte model 7 mono blocks are going to sound better than Threshold SA/1's or SA/12e's.

Give me a break. You have a lot to learn.

Brucefrederick -Yeah your Honda Accord is going to handle better than my Mercedes S600.

Hey Forte is a very good amp. I should know I have the Forte Model 6 and preamp in my exercise room. But when it comes to serious listeing, design, build construction quality,(there is no Forte that weighs 100 pounds) and most importantly sound. Threshold that is the SA series mainly is world class. A Threshold SA/4e would beat most amps out there in the $25K range today. I also have a PASS Labs 350.5 and several other amps. But my Threshold SA/4e just outperforms everything else I heard and owned.

Joe
In the lower line amps, I do agree I have heard some fortes sound sweeter myself.. Now the S200 is the baby threshold, that I thought sounded the best out of all of them of the S series stuff, unless against thresholds straight class A stuff. But A-B amps, I think sometimes the smaller fortes did sound better, but would not go as far as the SA/4e, that is one of the best ever made.
Hey - why the harsh words?

I say that my old refurbed QUAD mkII tube blocks sound better than most $20K amps out there!
I also recently got a set of very rare Audio Geometry PMA-25 mono solid-state blocks. They're not fancy or huge but their sound is extremely detailed. They have very good control over the speakers and are a pleasure to listen to. My one friend was quite impressed with these little babies.

It doesnt ever mean that bigger and more expensive is better! Look at how some Fisher receivers sound absolutely breathtaking. I dare to contradict! I will put my set of KEF C55's (custom modified) up against a set of Zingali Overture 4 speakers with no shame... if a piece of audio-gear works then why fight it?

Just my point of view.
DV