what are some of the best amplifiers

I have owned many amplifiers over time. Some were high priced and some were not. My latest finding is a pair of Forte model 7 monoblocks reworked by John Sodderberg. These are very magical amplifiers after 1/2 hour of warm up. The midrange is the best I've heard. Full bodied yet detailed. There is a mystical ring of air and depth that has to be heard to be believed. I have owned Threshold amplifiers(Fortes maker) and feel that the less expensive Fortes(4a and 7's), even in stock form, outperform the Thresholds. I think less is more!
brucefrederick
Brucefrederick, Moron for short.

Actually I live with my grandparents in the attic and do double shifts at White Castle while listening to my Sanyo 8-track player. Divorced 7 times because find a woman to love my setup up in the attic.

Joe
I happen to live in my uncle/aunt's vacation cottage in the Caribbean--rent free. I'm a five mile drive from both rain forest and beach. My name is Psychicanimal and I'm a HiFi bum.

Since this has turned into, almost, a Threshold vs Forte thread I'll offer my 2 cents. I owned an Threshold S200 that I bought based on my listening impressions of its big brother the mono SA-1's. Well, I must say that the S200 was no SA-1. To this day I consider that amp the best ss amp I have ever heard. I have not heard the SA4E.

Now to get back to the subject, some of the best amplifiers. Well, who am I to say what is best? I sure haven't heard them all and there is that little issue called symetry or compatability that comes into play when trying to make a determination. I happen to like tube amplifiers overall and OTL amplifiers specifically, when they can be used, but they are limited in their applications with many speakers.

So the answer to your question as to the best amplifier is back to the compatability of the speaker it will be used with. Some will say SET's, some OTL's, some will say Krell, some will say some of the famous makes from Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Manley, etc., etc. etc. There is no right answer there is only taste and compatibility in a given set-up. Happy listening!
Certainly not Krell, Audio Research, Conrad Johnson or Levinson.

There, now all who own these brands, please put them immediately up for sale at bargain prices so I can continue to buy the "worst of the worst" at bargain basement prices.

And while we're at it, please throw in Vandersteen and Thiel please, they are certainly not worth listneing to.

Steve ;-)
With some tweaking, I bet Honda Accord will out handle a big and heavy S600! Weight is the number one enemy for handling and S600 is not known to be light weight.

You did say handling, not acceleration