Mac's BAD MATCH for 802D's?

I have recently purchased B&W 802D's to go with my Mac C46 pre-amp and MC352 power amp.

A very respected dealer in my area (who has been helpful to me in the past) insists that Mac is about the worst possible match for the 802's and swears I would feel "like a veil was lifted" if I instead switched to Classe, Ayre (I do have an Ayre cd player, which I love), Mark Levinson or Boulder Amp. I should note that he does not carry some of these brands so he wasn't just trying to "sell" me. I have to admit that although my system sounds very good, it's not as "open" sounding (transparent, or whatever the right audiophile adjective might be).

If anyone aware of an engineering reasons the Mac might not be as great a match to the 802's as other equipment might be?

Any thoughts on what might be the optimal AMP combination (in a $6,000- $11,000 range) match for 802's
tomehunt
The output taps on Mac amps (like the MC352) with output transformers adjust the output stage for the best impedence match with the speakers. It shouldn't hurt anything to try your speakers on each of the taps, and see which sounds best.

BTW, I just got an MC352 from Audio Classics last week, and love it. I'm using it to drive Martin Logan Ascents.
Tomehunt you can't go wrong with MC-501's and C-2200 all the way, heard this set up with 802D's like yours. I agree with Mmitch7711 and make sure you have them hooked up to 4 ohm tabs.
Just a question about using the 4 ohm taps. I have 802n's with a mac 352. Is this something I should try? Or can I damage the speakers.
You will not damage your speakers Larry and you should try it. I am not the foremost expert on this, but having owned N803's and 802D's, McIntosh told me to use the 4 ohm taps with these B&W's.

Someone can correct me if wrong, but the advantage of these different taps is for better impedance matching with your speakers and although B&W states these speakers in question as 8 ohms, they behave more like 4 ohm speakers, yes?
Yes. The problem is, from an amp's perspective, low impedances are hard to drive - not the high ones. Many (conventional dynamic box) speakers have a low impendance in the bass and a high impedance in the upper mids and highs. The average is a very rough 8 ohms so that is what is published in the manuals and brochures.

However, all the amp really sees is that 4 ohm bass impedance! So technical people will say, use the tap that corresponds to the lowest impedance of the speaker. In 90% of cases today this is about 4 ohms - especially true for B&Ws.

In the old days, speakers had a much higher impedance. There are several complicated reasons for this but to keep it short, they would often average 8 or even higher. If you look at old tube amplifiers, they all have 16 ohm taps and some even have 32 ohm taps! With the advent of cheap high-power solid state amplifiers in the 1970s, speaker designers gained some freedom and have since settled on a much lower typical impedance curve (again, for many reasons). This is why modern tube amplifiers only have 4 and 8 ohm taps - 16 ohm speakers are basically extinct and REAL 8 ohm speakers are not far behind.

Arthur