Attenuator recommendations

Hi, I am having some issues with either my cdp output level (6 vrms) or amp input sensitvity. Either way, I think I need to get an inline attenuator. I would prefer to get the very best attenuator available that does not degrade the signal in any way. I am absolutely new to this so I would appreciate any feedback. By the way, I need XLR and RCA.

Thank you...
128x128tboooe
Why do you think you need one? What are the "issues?"

XLR and RCA? Please clarify, it is usually one or the other.
Herman, thanks for the reply. The issue I am having is that my volume is way too loud even at the next to the lowest possible volume setting. This is not the case with my current preamp but I have now auditioned two different (tube) preamps which both had this same extreme volume issue. The reason why I am looking for both RCA and XLR is becuase I am not sure what output connector my next preamp will have.
I had this problem with two different preamps. In both cases, the preamps' gain was reduced by the manufacturers. In one case it was a free change, and in the other it cost $80 (Lamm Industries).

Having the gain lowered is preferable to using attenuators, IMO.

Two recommended attenuators are those made by Rick Schultz (EVS) and Scott Endler.
You might want to get in touch with Marchand Electronics. They have a good selection and can tailor to your needs.

The XLR/RCA presents a difficulty because to be fully balanced means double the components. On the other hand, TVC's don't care about balanced or SE. Either way, you're essentially talking about a passive preamp, in some form.

The Pass amps have a low input impedance that can be difficult for passives but should be good using XLR.