Good tube pre amp for a mostly digital system

I am seeking advice from the a'gon community concerning a tube pre for my digital system. Some folks have qued be in to the fact that adding a pre tube will do wonders for my sound.

I have the jeff rowland 501 mono's and the bel canto dac3 as a my pre, a marantz running as a transport. On thing about the rowlands is that they prefer balanced so the tube pre must have balanced outs.

I've looked at the valve audio black widow, the cary slp 05, and the aesthetix calypso. All have balanced outs, well I'm not sure about the valve audio. Any other recommendations? Is adding a tube pre really going to do anything for my sound?

Lastly, being lacking some knowledge in this world, I am confused as to how, if I got a pre amp, I would go about connecting my cd running digitally to my dac then to the pre amp. Would it just be a matter of connecting the dac to the pre or does the cd player also have to be connected to the pre amp?

Lots of questions I know, yet lots to learn! Any help, suggestions, opinions are be welcome.

mariasplunge
Patience grasshopper...patience. If I could go back and do it all over again that would be the one key...patience.

Wait for your speakers to be repaired, then settle in and really listen to you system. Some pieces may still require some burn in.

Richer tonality, musicality and palpable air certainly do go together, and it does sound like you want to go to tubeland. I would agree that the Bel Canto DAC/preamp could well be the weak link.

After everything is fixed, listen and get a good feel for what your system sounds like. Then I would recommend trying a tube preamp first, since that Marantz SA-11S1 is a pretty good stand alone cd player. Once you settle in on a preamp, then you can take the next step towards a digital upgrade, tuner and/or turntable.

One step at a time, don't try to do everything at once or you're asking for trouble. For many of us it takes years to set up a system right. Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

Take your time and research the archives here and at Audio Asylum before you buy. Lots of great resources.

John
John, you are right. I need to slow down a bit. I need to get my speaker back, let my system fully break in with a substantial period of break-in and then decide where to go. That's what reference is born of correct?
Still like you suggested, I coulf probably benefit from a pre amp some time in the future..yes?
Thnaks all for your help.
Cheers
That's more like it. You can help the burn in process by leaving all equipment powered up 24/7, and even leave the system playing with a disc on repeat. I'm burning in a new preamp now. I just have the Ayre/Cardas disc on repeat when I'm not listening to the system. I can even turn the amps off, because they are already burned in, and I don't have to hear those test tones. :)

However, yes, listening to your sonic desires, I would say that a tube preamp is in your future. Keep us posted.

Cheers,
John
Thanks john for your time and all on this thread. I'll let you know how things progress down the road.

Thanks again.
I have a brand new VTL 5.5 and it has brought my system to a whole new level of detail and resolution. VTL is a great product, service is very good from the company, albeit very slow.