MC402 vs FPB 300cx

Anyone have any insight here...These are two amps I am considering going for, but have a little concern leaving Krell. I have read alot on both, most of the information on the FPB I am familiar, and I am familiar with the Krell sound. The Mc402 however seems to get some commentary in the Bass area, lackthereof. I love the bass slam of my Krell, and I love the detail of it. Is MAC way off in terms of sound signature? Does the 402 give slam, or does it roll?

Thanks for any insight anyone has.
jc51373
10-01-07: Mhelming
... Although they may have different outputs into those impedances, stop at 400 the MC402 does not...
Mhelming

Oh yeah? Where does it stop then? At 402?

Based on what I heard from this amplifier and its capabilities of driving a difficult load, I even doubt it makes 300w/ch so whatever that McIntosh rep said, I'd divide by 2(into 4) and by 4(into 2 ohms).
What were these difficult loads (specifically) low impedance speakers, large speakers? And what are you quantifying this with? Wattage? Current? Is this literally a by ear measure? I ask because I'm curious and as a relatively new-comer to the hobby (a year and a half in) I'm fascinated at the difference between ratings in power and actual sound. According to Mc there is greater than 100 amps current output per channel which would equate to a lot of watts, correct? I came from a Bryston 14b sst and like the sound of the Mac much more. It's much easier to listen to.
As I mentioned above, with below 2ohm dips, my speakers at the time were very current demanding. The Mac had absolutely no problem at all handling this.

Neither did the Krell for that matter.
Mhelming, yes, by ear measure. If it fails this test, it doesn't really matter how it looks like on paper.

I auditioned the MC402 with B&W 803S. Did not like the way it handled the B&Ws, which are not an easy speaker to drive as the impedence goes into a 3ohm category.
Sound was good on normal listening levels but once pushed harder, it really didn't stay together that good.

Very much possible that you prefer Mac sound over Bryston...depends on a system context. I can see that.

Enjoy your MAC!
How hard were you pushing it to hear that? I am wondering what the next steps will be as I want to eventually move toward 802d's. I talked with McIntosh (Chuck as listed on the support site). He did speak a lot to the fact that the 803 is really a 4 or 5 ohm speaker with a few 64 ohm spikes that lead B&W to list it as an 8ohm speaker. The 802d is only harder to drive spending most of its time around 3-4 ohms. Is this information correct?

He also told me Mac is about 30% conservative, meaning out of the 4 ohm taps the 402 pushes closer to 600 watts per channel. I tried switiching around to the 8 ohm taps and heard a difference, but liked the 4 ohm tap better. He also told me 501's were the same amplifier circuit with a little more output capability due to power source. He advised the step up to be toward 1201's, not 501's, which would just be a lateral move when compared to the 402.

Interesting as I just want to arrive at an amp that will get the job done!!!! The 402 seems good for now, but we'll see when I arrive at the 802. Any thoughts?