BAT Preamps, why such polarized opposite opinions?

I've never heard a BAT preamp. But I've heard enough about them on this and other sites. What is it about their sonics that people either tend to really like or really dislike them?

I've heard criticisms that they lack air, treble openness, life. I've been told the VK32SE is too dark, too weighted to the bottom, no air or delicacy on top.

I've heard these polarized opinions from audio salesmen as well, some who carried (carry) BAT. Let's just say I made alot of long distance calls to get a broad opinion.

But others love their sound and think they are fabulous.

I know what you're going to tell me - go listen to them yourself. Well, I live rural and it isn't easy to do.

So, instead, I'd like to get opinions across the spectrum from the Audiogon guys.

I'm using a Audio Research 100.2 with Dali Helicon 400's. I've tried Rogue, ARC, Sonic Frontiers, but haven't found the right preamp yet.
audiosoul
I would like to put my prevoius post into perspective. BAT sounds veiled and closed in IN COMPARISION to the latest ARC Reference gear (Ref 3 & Ref 110). If you compare it to some other amps, it may not be that obvious.

Which doesn't change the fact that BAT has a typical "wall of sound" perspective, with poor microdynamics and very little inner life.

And I think I know what I'm talking about since I owned BAT 51SE for over 2 years and have tried it on a very revealing speakers, including Avalon Eidolon Vision, Quad 2805 and Audiostatic DCM-5 (ULTRA transparent electrostatic speakers).
I accord with Lewm & Flemke that a perception of sluggishness & treble roll-off that one senses with BAT is a signature of the identical oil coupling caps used throughout much of the BAT tube line-up. Switching to good teflon such as V-Cap improves dynamics, resolution & HF extension. The BAT zero-neg feedback triode tube amp designs are great & with the coupling cap mod I believe they surpass stock ARC.
None of the above responses takes the place of a proper audition. NONE. This is a truth that no one worth their flux capacitors can deny.
Enjoy the ARC REF3 Elberoth2. I heard (or was that read?) somewhere that it is white hot sounding in its presentation. Perhaps someday I will take the requisite time to audition one in my reference system.
Audphile 1 said, "you doubt the group of people who offered their opinion that contradicted with what you READ in the forums." Well, so what? There are others here who don't agree with your group.

Elberoth1 has a very expensive and sophisticated system, so I give credence to his opinion. He sold his VK51SE. I respect others' opinions too. Just trying to sort it out.

Flying to a BAT dealer to audition? I don't think so. Besides, I've auditioned components at dealers where they sounded dreadful, and the component was a good sounding component. Many dealers don't know good sound, unfortunately.

Perhaps those posters who think the oil caps are the culprits are correct. I know there were some who didn't like the Jensen oil caps used by Cary and preferred the non-oil (I believe it was Hovland) caps. Those caps are BAT's thing, though, and I certainly wouldn't buy a preamp and change out the caps, reducing its resaleability in half.
Audiosoul, the best thing to do, is to audition at home in your own system. It seems like you know that. But despite the fact, you still lean towards a certain set of opinions on the forums.

I am not doubting what Elberoth1 observed in his system, but that was in his system, his room. Regardless of how expensive and sofisticated one's system is, you do not know what type of sound they like, what type of room it is(dead or lively). Synergy is everything.

Without being familiar with your speakers and your room acoustics, nobody really knows how BAT or ARC or any other preamp would sound in your system. You need to match components and wires until you find the right combination.
You did not mention what your system sounds like now, what it lacks and what you want to achieve.

Discounting a particular component based on opinions from the forums, and mixed opinions nonetheless, is just not a wise thing to do. But if there is absolutely no way you can audition a component, then I guess all you're left with is to rely on forums.
That's all I was tryng to say.