Best stereo recievers of the 1970's?

I remember walking in to my local Hi Fi shop and looking at the line ups of
recievers.Pioneer,,Jvc,Sansui,Kenwood,Luxman.I loved the Sansui 9090 db
but when I heard the Luxman (don't remember the model number) in the late 70's it was the best I've ever heard at the time.
Mike
hiendmmoe
Pioneer SX1250...
If you have never had the joy of a face to face with one of these MONSTERS, I'd suggest that you now have something to do.

Until you have, consider yourself a non-player in the audio hobby.

"dare ya to listen to one"
If you were listening in the 70's,I dare ya to lift one now.If you can get around that its the way to go,their beautiful.SHKL,Bob
I had the AR receiver for many years. (Acoustic Research).
Loved it. Great tuner.
I just picked up a Marantz 2325 with double the power of my 2270 mentioned earlier in this thread and it is amazing.
It holds the bass like nothing I have heard before in this vintage. Using it to drive Spendor S3/5 minimonitors and it makes them sound like full range floor standers.
My personal opinion, in order of preference:
1- Sansui - the 5000 series (A/X) is about the bext value (price/performance) as it gets, IMHO.
2- Luxman - some models are overall better performers than Sansui, but build and sound quality are les consistent. Still, a good Luxman receiver is a very good thing.
3- Marantz - 22xx and 23xx series receivers are built like tanks and pretty too.

I have not had much luck with Pioneer receivers. I bought an SX-838 new with hard-earned summer job money in 197?, and I had nothing but problems with it. Later purchases have confirmed that. I have never owned an SX-1250 though.

But to venture into never-never land, if I had a choice I would prefer a 60s era Sansui AU-70 or Marantz Model 18 tube receiver. Different animals altogether.