Tube amp location

I've got a question for you tube guys. I'd like to add a couple of mono tube amps to my combo HT/audio rig. Problem is I have my equipment in an entertainment center which has glass doors on the front, so heat would probably be a problem.

The glass doors are not sealed and have about a 1/4" opening aroung the edge. The back of the entertainment center is fiber board which I cut out around all my equipmet for ventilation and access to wiring. I can easily get 6-8" clearance on top of the components, but only have 20" side to side.

I'm thinking this is not enough ventilation for tubes and I don't have space to put them on floor. Not to mention my wife would throw a fit. So my only other option is on top the of the speakers.

I have Klipsch Cornwall III's so I have a fairly large area to set the amps on, but I'm worried the vibration from the speakers would adversly effect the amplifiers/sound.

What do you guys think? Stick with solid state?

Thanks.
jack_dotson
Cyclonicman,
As long as the amps stay of the speakers - plus enough ventilation is provided.

1. Amps on spks = vibration.
2. Accident waiting to happend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. To much heat = shorter life.
4. Tube amps need a lots of air around them.

Schipo,
1. Yes, your idea with fans might work as long as enough (hot) air is moved out of the cabinet.
2. (to author) Wife exceptance problem - nice flowers would be nice.
If that won't work maybe some jewelry.
3. (to author) If we had an idea what your room looks like, it would be a lot easier to come up with some kind of solution.

If your wife cann't see your amps - why asking us - as her.
I am running out of ideas......Your wife don't want to see them or she don't want them on the floor....or your space is limited.

I have answered author's question base on informations given. My answer was maybe short but safety was my biggest concern.

Mariusz Stark

Cheers
Look into the "silencer" 12 volt computer fan. This is one of the lowest noise computer fan. You can also hook up an adjustable "wall wart" and adjust the voltage accordingly. I even put a lamp switch between the wall wart and the fan to turn my fan on/off. You probably need 2 of these fans to cool your amp.
If the tube amp operates in Class A, you are going to have to move a lot of air. The on top of speaker scenario is going to be a problem with microphonics and feedback. If you have to go tubes and cannot use monoblocks on floor behind speaker, then you should go with a Class A/B amp known for running cool(er), and with fewer tubes overall.
My last solution with your wife exceptance problem, why not just buy another entertainment center. I would look for a larger unit with more room inside for your gear. Something that you both find attractive be it wood,metal,marble, and granite or any other material's or a combo that would go with your decor. Look for a unit with good ventalation and solidly built.