Joule Electra LA150 MkII or Lamm LL2 Deluxe?

Hi all, I am looking at a new tube preamp in the $2,500 to $4,000 used range, and I could use your help. I have tried many over the past couple of years, and my current short list includes the Joule and the Lamm. I have a wanted ad posted for the Lamm but no response yet. I have read all the stuff on both, and I am not asking for anyone to tell me what to buy, but I am interested in hearing from users about the characteristics of these two preamps, and certainly from any who have compared them directly or owned both. What to you stands out either in a positive or negative way about either of these units and, if you owned one previously, what made you switch to something else. Important to me are quietness, clarity, dynamics, midrange warmth (at least some), and bass depth, texture, and accuracy. Also, regarding the Joule, are the tubes used in that unit available anywhere else other than from Joule, and are they known for being rugged and quiet? My virtual system is accurately posted, except I am using a Zoe preamp and Cary 500MB monos, instead of the Vibe&Pulse and DNA500 shown. Thanks - Tim
mitch2
What happened Mitch2?
You got tired of the Joule so fast?

I own the LAP-150 Mk II (recently bought and immediately upgraded from Mk I) and cannot praise it enough.
With my Sonus Faber GP Home and Bryston 4B Pro (yes you heard right) this is the best sound I have heard in my system and one of the best sounds I have heard anywhere even compared to very expensive systems (3-4 times the price of mine).
The Bryston further enhances the great bass and brings some PRAT (for the Bryston my speakers at 90dB are a walk in the park to drive so it is in its element) and together the beauty (Joule) and the beast (Bryston) just do magic.

Cheers,

Doron
To Pubul57, I believe that the plate direct output is the default setting, and according to Jud it is the most direct and best sounding. However, the output impedance from the plate direct is 1,200 ohms, which could be too high for amps with low input impedance like my former McCormack DNA 500 (10K ohms). Taken from the Mu follower circuit, the output impedance is only 100 ohms, so would match with just about any amp. Yes these are jumpers inside the preamp that can be owner-adjusted, and it is explained in the owner's manual. There are 4 jumpers in the LA150 MkII, two (one for each channel) to set the output (Mu follower or plate direct) and two to set gain (4dB or 8dB). If you are interested in discussing further, I can send some pictures and would be glad to go over it with you on the phone.

To Tvad and others, its just one of those things along my mythical search for "just the right" preamp. I have had some very good preamps through here, and the Joule is a very nice one and desirable to many, but ultimately not exactly what I am looking for. I will be trying something else in the near future and will post further thoughts. - Tim
Hi Mitch2, thanks for the explanation, I'm relieved to know that mine is set up with direct output as my amps have 100kohm input impedance - thanks for the explanation.
Anyone hear the ne LA 150MKII Signature Edition? Suppose to be a bit like the 300.