Granite Audio 770 Tube Pre-amp & its phono sec.

Currently own Supratek Chardonnay, Jas Array 1.1, TecT 2.0 and pre that belong to my boddy Cyber 222MK II. TacT is a RCS so it is not a real preamp. But the rest are.

My problem is this:
Love Supratek for its transparency, detail, speed (top end is to colored in my opinion - edgy)
Love Jas for emotional presentation and sweetness
Can not find a preamp that will give me both (under or around 2K used......or new). Does anyone know a baby " Frankenstein ".

At the time being, I ordered Granite Audio 770FP preamp to try it out. I would appreciate any opinion on that preamp. Keep in mind that I heard it many times - just not in my system. ( Consonance Cyber 800 mono block modded by B.Backert, Consonance Droplet 5.0 CDP, Quatro - vandersteen Spks. modded MMF7 Music Hall TT, Lenco (not finish - replinthed), TT "X" also home build turntable, Morch up-4/Denon 103R and Consonance Reference 40 phonostage. Cabling in 90% by Morrow Audio)
I would like to find out how its phono section compare to others etc. If non of these preamp will work - my only option would be to place it in hands of a tried and wonderful moder B.B to tweak it to my taste.

Thank You in advance
mrjstark
It is my fault, I should have ask you sooner.
But there is always onother time. I will let you know if or when (privately). It was great for few reasons. First of all, my old friend had a chance to hear my rig for the first time. Now, this will make it easier to talk to him without trying to paint the picture with "dry brush".
And create another tube believer from a totally SS guy. I thing and hope that he enjoy a little tuby taste of mine and the whole experience in general. Always happy to share with others and hopefully point them in the right direction (only principals - no preferences). So yes it was good. Next time - I would like to also see you to enrich the gathering with the wit like yourself Joe.

There wasn't a lot of equipment swapping, except one that went in for 1!!! minute flat, and we almost threw it out the window in disgust. After that disturbing incident we were just enjoying good music and talk about this crazy World.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now about Granite Audio and American companies.

Yes Joe, I agree with you about some American brands that represent good value, make great products, are usually small/family owned and operated but continuously in the shade of the bigger more expose, better advertised brands.
I am ALWAYS going to support a brand with good product ( American, Chinese, EU or else) no matter who is behind it or what's the size. But smaller outfits always go against the wind and often struggle just to make it and continue what they love to do. I personally have a very good expirience with few American manufacturers of that type....no not necessary struggling just unappreciated and uninvited by major magazines for a simple reason - no adds = no review.
And that is a shame....really. It's one of the reasons I read those mags as an entertainment and not as a source of valuable information and/or fallow their recommendations in any way, shape and form. At the end of the day they're all nicely stuck together and put away with the rest of the recycles.
What I like about these companies is that, they would go that extra mile to make their costumers happy/satisfy and guaranty the work with their name.....and you have to respect that.

Recent economy roller coaster, dollar power diminishing and companies from within and around the "Great Wall" flooding the market with capable and better and better components (not always - a lot of it is crap) creating a uncertain situation for the home grown brands big and small ( especially small).

Passionate people are all around us.
Audio nirvana is within reach without spending a fortune.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the 770fp preamp from Don will be OK for me......
if for whatever reason it will not sing with the rest of my system. No problem, will find home for it and make up with the old.....or something new. Who knows.
About Granite CDP....I have heard his mutant cousin. But still Granite Audio tube section and sound - also SS/tube + volume control. It sounds great. Like you said - music. Is it the best? I am not to judge, fault or praise it, but I would imagine its value to be excellent.

Thank you Joe and sorry for the last minute invite.
You are a wise man, Mariusz. Please don't apologize, I'm humbled by the invite, so a "thank you for asking me to join you" on my part is the only thing due from either of us.

In the words of someone a lot smarter than me, "buying American is unAmerican." While, I am personally as nationalistic as anyone, I feel that blind loyalty leads to long term misery. If we do not hold our domestic companies up to the highest standards, they will not meet them, and our competitiveness as a society will plummet.

Despite what most people see and regurgitate, China is not beginning to pave the streets with gold. Their fundamentals and implementation are shakier than we realize, and expect the next couple of years to see tremendous price increases on their products. The prices of things like steel, copper, plastic, labor, etc. are going through the roof, and of course, that is going to get passed along to us. It is already happening, and I expect to see some serious inflation in terms of Chinese audio over the next year or two. Hopefully, the people on this side of the ocean are thinking long-term, as opposed to the sky is falling mentality too many here are taking on, as they will miss a golden opportunity going forward.

All of this is strictly my opinion, and I realize it is definitely the minority/contrarian view...

The Granite 657 the best? No, it is not. I have several players that eclipse it, including your Droplet 5.0. But, the 657 is a very nice player.

Take care,
Joe
Thanks Joe.
And one more think.
What happend to those horn spks that you
were going/planing to show during CES.
I have not see them anywhere. Would like to hear them -
one day.

Cheers
Mariusz
Mariusz, I have a pair of those M15 horns. You are more than welcome to give them a listen. They're probably best driven by something like your Cyber 800 monoblocks, so if you ever paid me a visit, please don't hesitate to bring them along.

I did CES with my buddy, Vytas, who is a loudspeaker manufacturer. He makes a really unique and good sounding (in my opinion) product that seemed to mate very well with the Cyber 800. I have some definite opinions on loudspeakers (series crossovers, powered woofers), and a lot of them are not represented in the marketplace with very little exception. The design of his speakers lines up very well with those opinions. We got really good feedback from some of the folks who gave us a listen, but what do I know?
Not M15 Joe.
The single driver one .

AND THANKS FOR
THE INVITE
P.S
I AM A LITTLE BUSSY BUT WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THOSE SPEAKS