Pass Labs xa - .5 amps

Has anyone compared the new Pass XA-30.5 stereo amp to the XA-60.5 mono amps? Interested to hear your impressions. I am considering one (or two) these for use with my ML Vantage speakers. Thanks.

Bob R.
rmrobinson1957
Lots of Pass fans here. I haven't heard the XA30.5 or XA 60.5 but I had the Aleph 3, 5, 2, XA 160 and now have the XA 100.5. Sorry if this post deviates a little from the origial question.

With the exception of the Aleph 3, all of these amps drove my Eggleston Rosa which is 87dB, 6 ohm nominal and 4 ohm minimum. My room is 16.5' X 15.5' X 7.5' for a total of 1918 cubic feet. I find the XA100.5 to be by far the best of the Pass amps that I have had in my system. Having gone from 30 watts to 60 to 100 to 160 and back to 100, I have concluded that in my room with my speakers the extra power made a very noticable difference, especially the extra current and doubling of power with the halving of impedence of the XA.5 - 200watts at 4ohm load.

The impovement is in greater ease and flow of the music and much better grip and impact of lower frequencies. The noise floor is lower and focus/staging are better, but this is because of the improved circuit, not power I think. Also everything became quicker. If I could have afforded the XA160.5, that would have been even better at 320watts at 4ohms. The Egglestons love power, even in my small room. I listen at an average 85 dB with peaks above 100dB.

Having said all that, I bet the XA30.5 with a 91+dB efficient speaker would sould incredible. Hope this helps and congratulations.
I wouldn't hesitate to use the XA30.5 with 89db in most rooms, more than enough power and drive with my speakers. I think these things are very conservatively rated, at least, the sound that way. To me, less powerful versions of a cricuit always sound better, assuming the power is sufficient to drive the speakers. Less is more in many cases.
I am also looking at purchasing a Pass XA-30.5. Anyone have thoughts or experience with a Conrad Johnson ACT 2.1 and the Dynaudio Sapphires? Sapphires are rated sensitivity specified as 88dB/2.83V/m. Room is small in nature 11 X 13 X 9.

Also, I'd like some thoughts on moving from a Sim Audio Titan to this particular amp for 2 channel listening. If anyone would care to comment I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Charles
Mozvz, I believe the XA-30.5 would be a nice match for your speakers, your room, and your preamp.
I have ran a Conrad Johnson CT-5 into the 30.5 with excellent results. I've heard many combinations during my time in this hobby and this is one of the best if not the best I have heard. Liked it so much, I got the 100.5's a few weeks ago and will take delivery of the ACT 2.2 next week. I can only imagine.