Pass Labs xa - .5 amps

Has anyone compared the new Pass XA-30.5 stereo amp to the XA-60.5 mono amps? Interested to hear your impressions. I am considering one (or two) these for use with my ML Vantage speakers. Thanks.

Bob R.
rmrobinson1957
I could definitely see where a Pass amp could take care of any perceived brightness....they certainly are market savvy.
06-04-09: Chashas1
I could definitely see where a Pass amp could take care of any perceived brightness....they certainly are market savvy.
Huh?

If you read my posts, you will see the brightness was corrected due to the Pass XA-.5 amp doubling power as impedance is halved, thus producing more equal decibels across the frequency spectrum even though the impedance varies.

It has to do with the mids and bass being produced at volumes equal to the highs. If the highs are produced at volumes greater than the mids and/or bass, then the perceived result is "brightness". Many amps that double power as impedance is halved will have the same effect on the Sonata III speakers, or on any other speakers with significant variations in impedance. Belles amps are an example that worked well in my system. Many people hear brightness in their speakers, and immediately look to replace the speakers as if it's the speaker's fault, when in fact it's the fault of an improper amp/speaker match.

It has absolutely nothing to do with market savvy.
I could definately see where a Pass amp could take care of any perceived brightness......they certainly are market savvy.

Chashas1, what do you mean by this comment? Have you noticed a particular characteristic of the XA.5 line? Or are you referring to Nelson Pass' marketing efforts? Thanks.
Oops, sorry, Tvad, I quickly perused a few reviews and saw a few comments on the newer esotec tweeter and assumed in certain situations it might be too much or would have to be matched correctly.

Peterayer, I definitely think they're market savvy as a company, just like any other that has been making money and stayed around for as long as they have. I think that's great. I wish a few others from the past were still with us. With my limited listening time with them, I can't really comment on their sound any more than I already have. I could tell that it wasn't for me, my list is growing longer. But isn't that the nature of the hobby?
Discussion lately about Pass XA.5 seems strange to me. Typical comment about Class A amp is that there is insufficient brightness, and not the other way around. I thought my XA60.5 does a fantastic job preserving the fair balance of upper frequencies relative to the mid and lower. An over-emphasis on upper frequencies grab your attention at first, as it gives you the illusion that the equipment is precise and detail in producing the sound. But you soon find out that the sound stage is hem in and the sound is rather harsh. I don't see that in the XA60.5 at all.

As to the lower frequencies, if you are looking for that extra dance club banging so that you can shake with the beat then there are many significantly less expensive amplifiers that can do that for you. As to the XA60.5, I definitely feel the jolt when the particular recording actually calls for it.