Tubed Pre match with a Spectron Musician IIISE?

That economic stimulus check will soon be burning a hole in my pants. Wondering about a good tubed preamp (prefer balanced connections) match with the Spectron IIISE. Associated equipment: Cambridge 840C CDP and Von Schweikert 4SR speakers.
128x128mdrummer01
Been thinking myself about that, too. I had a First Sound preamp which I really liked, however my ideal preamp to mate with a pair of Spectron M3 SEP will have to have:
- 6SN7 tubes, as I like this family more than the 6922 family. In ultimate terms, on average (there are exceptions, of course), 6sn7 is placed on the thicker, fleshier side of neutral, while the 6922 tubes are on the thinner, brighter side of neutral.
- TVC as opposed to resistors
- remote control
- separate, tube based power supply, and I personally like the 5Z3 tubes.
- preamp out should be true balanced XLR via transformer.
- tube amplification stage should be single ended triode transformer coupled (thus no capacitors) to output transformer. I chose single ended tube as opposed to balanced tube because I want the tube stage to be as simple as possible and I want to be able to roll rare NOS tube pairs without worrying about finding matched quartets.
- 2 XLR outs in order to use the Spectron in monobock config. Also 1 SE out for compatibility.
- low gain, low output impedance (around 50)
- both SE and XLR ins. The XLR input is trully balanced, signal goes to TVC, TVC out is unbalanced to triode stage, then the output transformer balances back the signal to amp. Keeping the signal fully balanced throughout would require 4 matched 6SN7 tubes which, aside from the inconvenience caused by having to find rare NOS tubes to match, I feel doesn't sound as good (less magic) as a SET stage. But this will have a penalty when it comes to measured (not audible) noise.
I'm having this preamp custom made by Promitheus audio as I type this, so I guess we'll see how good it is when I receive it. I expect it to be perfect, and then some...
Romandoc
This must be special order. WOW !!!!!!
Please when you receive it - please, write review !!!
Thanks in advance
Rafael
P.S. I have read your post on your Musician III SE - did you hear any changes with time, did you try to tun them in monoblocl mode? Thanks
Sure, I will write a review of that preamp once I receive it. It will be made using signature double c-cores throughout, relay based remote control, mundorf silver-oil caps in the power supply, no caps in the signal path (transformer coupled).
I definitely heard changes in my Spectron's sound with time. Sound is more organic, initially it was cooler sounding than it is now. Now it's just perfect, and it keeps getting better (!!!). I have around 200 hours on it, but it has the v-cap/bybee upgrade. Didn't try them in monoblock mode (second amp is still sealed) because I lack the proper cabling and I will soon move my stereo in a new listening room.
Thanks!
Romandoc:
When do you anticipate taking delivery on your preamp from Promitheus? Can't wait to read your assessment...feel like a voyeuristic kid in a candy store.
Yesterday I was talking to Simon from Spectron and he recommended Promitheus as a nice inexpensive pre-amp to use with their amps.