Tubed Pre match with a Spectron Musician IIISE?

That economic stimulus check will soon be burning a hole in my pants. Wondering about a good tubed preamp (prefer balanced connections) match with the Spectron IIISE. Associated equipment: Cambridge 840C CDP and Von Schweikert 4SR speakers.
128x128mdrummer01
Hello guys,

The preamplifier in question is Marianne Electra Memorial Edition Preamp by Jud Barber of Joule-Electra.

This Preamp will be presented in Joule-Electra & Merlin Music Systems Room at Consumer Electronics Show, 2009 January 8-11, at the Venetian Tower Hotel, Room 29-217

The designer built it in the honor of his late wife Marianne who died an year ago this May.

The limited edition issued by Joule-Electra by now has received a very warp response from a few audiophile who had the opportunity to audition it

Thank you
I had an ARC Ref 3 for a while with a single M III and the bybee /vcap upgrades and did not like it at all - very bright and hard. I reverted back to my supped up Sonic Frontiers line 3SE++ and I am quite satisfied with the noise coming out of this combo.

A second M III arrived on Thursday and after 48 hours burn in, today I am going to hook them up as mono blocks using XLR Y-cables! Yippee!
Congratulations Steve - you are for the treat!
I know for the fact that Simon from Spectron never recommended AEC Ref preamps. He liked BAT and, of course, now he is going "nuts" on newest Joule-Electra...

All The Best
Rafael
Radicalsteve, what does the rest of your system consist of.

You said the ARC REF3 sounded "very bright and hard", I have to say that's the first time I have heard that and I have never ever had such an experience and I have tried endless amp combos with the REF3 and my set-ups are very re-veiling, I'm currently using MBL 101E speakers.

Something was going on so I would not put blame on the ARC REF3 and look elsewhere within the system, that being said when I spoke to Simon about the match compatibility he mentioned to me that it would be a great, in his defence he did also mentioned the BAT REX.

Look forward to your thoughts regarding mono block configuration hooked-up and what the differences are from just having a single stereo unit. Do your amps have either of the two upgrades available.
Radicalsteve, I over read and see that you have both upgrades, I guess I was just paying too much attention to your reference of the REF3 being bright and hard.

I also read some of your other threads and see you are in the area "Ottawa", you wouldn't happen to be coming to T.O. during the holidays for a visit would you.

I would really love to hear those in my set-up.