Weights on a preamp

I have an Art Audio VPL MK2 preamp. I think, if I remember correctly, that Joe Fratus of Art Audio mentioned that some people place a weight on the top of the unit, which I assume is to dampen vibratory activity with weight pressure and its gravity. I have heard of this with speakers, but preamps? Is this geeky overkill, or does it really work? What are the opinions on this weighty matter ?
chashmal
I have dampeners on all cases. Some are heavy, some just size 10 rubber bottle stoppers.
It is 'nearly free, and I like it. I make no claim that it makes any difference... Though I do prefer the sound with them on...
More than almost any other kind of electronic component, because they contain small signal tubes that are often microphonic, a tube linestage is prone to problems with vibration. It certainly does not hurt to try different forms of dampening. I personally like coupling the component to a good vibration dampening shelf, but, it makes sense to experiment with any and all of these choices.
Thanks all. This afternoon I tried putting a 2.5 pound steel weight on the pre, and did not like the result. I definitely heard a difference, there was some more subtle focus. I have a theory why it didn't work: I live in a building with a lot of vibrations, shaking at times, due to proximity to the Brooklyn bridge (which is across the street). For this reason I have invested in a great stand and I put my amp on a 4'' maple block with isolation pads on the floor. This helps enormously, and I get great sound. When the building shakes I cannot hear any change, but maybe it makes a loose metal weight on the pre rattled or ring a bit. I don't know, its only a theory, but I took off the weight and it sounds like it used to. Better. Call me a geek, but I that's how it ended.
I neglected to mention what I heard that I didn't like: the tone became a bit thin and lost some warmth. I attribute this to the metal ringing atop the pre. I thought the weight in question was solid steel. It might be a cheap hollow filled composite. Either way, the sound I have come to love took a hit tone wise, despite a bit more focus to the soundstage. With things this subtle, I always question my own perception. But in the end, that's all we have to go on, and I like it better with the weight off.