Weights on a preamp

I have an Art Audio VPL MK2 preamp. I think, if I remember correctly, that Joe Fratus of Art Audio mentioned that some people place a weight on the top of the unit, which I assume is to dampen vibratory activity with weight pressure and its gravity. I have heard of this with speakers, but preamps? Is this geeky overkill, or does it really work? What are the opinions on this weighty matter ?
chashmal
I've been considering trying this "tweak" and am wondering if anyone has used a hockey puck on top of their equipment and what was the effect to the sound. If I can locate a hockey puck in my basement I might try it.
Chashmal,

This is all a matter of system tuning. Your finding that the sound became thin and lacked warmth is consistent with what dampening will do. If your system was overly warm, the dampening would have been positive, but, that clearly was not the case. That is why one can only tell by experimenting -- no tweak will consistently improve sound.

I have had the same experience as you reported when using vibration dampening devices on some cd players. With a lot of players, a lot of dampening is NOT a good thing.
Hello Chashmal,

If it is safe and practical to do so you may want to try removing the cover from the preamp. I have found my preamp sounds EVEN better with the cover off. YMMV

Good luck,
Tom