component problems driving me from the hobby?

I have had a very bad time of it for the last,almost two years,with varying little problems.Alot of new additions,that just continue to plague me with component failure.From amp to line conditioner/table/CD player,tonearm etc.It is almost surreal!

I have been at this for about fourty years,so I know what I'm doing,but this latest round may drive me from the hobby!Btw,I don't feel sorry for myself,but am disgusted!!
I am doing far too much diagnostics/schlepping,and way too little listening pleasure!!I've also spent alot of money lately,on the hobby.

Here's my question,and I really would appreciate some "thoughtful comments".....

My pre was in use playing my CD player and I noticed noise in the volume control when I moved it.This happened awhile ago,so I just blew some air into the contacts and circuitry with an air spray can.It cleared up,awhile ago,and somewhat tonight.

Yet,upon further play I still noticed some noise(like a static/dusty sound,when moving the volume control.I stopped CD play and ran a few click stops to hear it's effect....After five volume click stops(only around 9 or 10 o'clock on volume control,I got a POP sound,and the pre went dead!

I can't check out my analog,because I am awaiting a new arm,which had set up problems.

Thinking I am cursed,as of late,as I have a dedicated room/dedicated lines/superb line regeneration/line conditioners etc.

Any thoughts as to the cause of the pre failure?

Thanks so much...
sirspeedy
It seems unusual that so many components would cause failures. Most likely it's coincidental.

Since you have dedicated circuits/lines it might not be a bad idea to have a top-flight electrician check all electrical contacts for secure connections/contacts and also for phase and polarity and grounding.

I've been running dedicated lines/circuits for years without issue however I've heard a rumor or two in time past that dedicated lines on opposing phases and/or reversed polarity and/or grounding issues can cause additional AC noise and/or shorten the life of the components.

I've never heard of any such actual failures due to poor electrical but if you are routinely running into multiple component failures then perhaps there is something common to all components that is causing this.

You don't list any of your components but you mention you own one or more line conditioners which are a fantastic addition to any system. The only problem here is that many line conditioners are not worth owning or using because they actually induce their own sonic harm.

Perhaps the line conditioner you are using happens to be a lemon and hence is somehow altering the AC so that it is shortening the life of your components.

It's just a shot in the dark but I think it safe to assume that if properly altering the AC will improve sonic performance, then perhaps improperly altering the AC could negatively affect the sonics and/or components.

-IMO
Hang in there. I've been at it for fifty years. Most likely you are going through a rough patch. I agree with earlier poster's that most likely you have a power problem. Do call the power company and ask them to check the transformer that is feeding your line. These unit s do go bad and create all kinds of problems.
Sounds like DC got to your pre. Have your pre AND your CD player checked out. Depending on their design( you don't mention mfr.) capacitors or servos may have failed.

I doubt it is ac line related if you live in a metropoliton area. Although, it may be the DC supply in your pre...especially if it is a tube unit. Contrary to what most people think, its high voltage not heat that causes most problems with tube units.

A spot of bad luck. The more expensive the toys the more annoying it can be...been there! You'll be fine...