Line Stage battle: ARC LS26 vs Aesthetix Calypso

Dear Members, This is my first post on Audiogon & I would like to thank Audiogon and it's members for a fantastic community of dedicated fans of high end audio. For my first post, I thought I'd pick two exceptional line stage pre-amps costing roughly the same, yet created along very different design philosophies and pose the question - In a no-holds barred cage match between the two, which pre comes out the winner?
melbguy1
You won't be wrong on Cary SLP-05, it is absolutely a remarkable pre. Tube rolling is fun, but the EH stock tubes are not bad at all.
I agree about the Cary, I tied the 05, but could not afford it bought the SLP-03 w/ 12au7 tubes tube rolled to NOS and have no regrets, a bargain for the money at 3K, I like the single box design, completly dual mono construction, dead quiet, works great w/ my Wyred4Sound monos
Congratulations on your SLP-03 Jtsnead! I agree, it's just a great pre-amp for the money with core design fundamentals filtered down from the 05. And rolled with NOS tubes, I can see why you're so happy with it! The main thing is system synergy of course & it sounds like you've got yours perfect and within your budget. My Audio Advisor talked me out of running tube monoblocks to drive the Ren's mid/highs as he felt that introduced a number of undesirable characteristics such as timing errors and distortion. The Benchmark Plexus power amps I am buying are very special amps, but it's the Cary pre-amp which is going to pull it all together & make my system shine! Come to think of it, no wonder i'm single; all I can think about is my next component, cable synergy, isolation feet, shakti stones.. Maybe i'll have to have a civil ceremony one day & marry my rig! Lol, i'd probably get a heap of gifts too from all of you A'goners!
Audphile, I thought you might be hanging in there to see if I came around to the ARC in the end, well after researching further (think RIDICULOUS hours on Audiogon and the net), it's clear from Audiophiles in the know that the ARC LS26 is the best all round pre for what I want to achieve in my system. Great quality, reliability, fully balanced, adjustable gain, incredibly accuracy, phenominal soundstage, lots of "air" around instruments, sparkling highs..yes, the Cary or even a CJ could give me more of a lush sound, but if I could transport myself back in time to 1993 and sit down for a coffee with Arnie Nudel and Cary Christie & talk about the Rens, I have a strong sense they would be talking up ARC because of it's natural synergy with Infinity. With the LS26, there is a perfect alignment of stars..
Melbguy1 Arnie Nudell, and Cary Christie would tell You when U'r spending this kind of money to use U'r own judgement/ ears!!!! They're ears can't after-all, decipher more than Yours. Last I knew they're ears were 180 degrees equi-distant from each other as, I think Yours are!!!! The final arbiters being what You like for U'r musical pallette. Yes, of course useful background info. is necessary such as gain, interfacing,reliability, and customer support, but outside of that you've got to live with the choices you make.