Best sounding Krell ?

Let's say I had $4k for a power amp. and was looking at used Krell power amps. Which Krell would you consider the best sounding of all the different models in the last 10 years? Of course this is all subjective but based on midrange, bass and all the other attributes we audiophools crave.
128x128audiogabby
I have the Legacy Classic speakers. I like them and i'm not
planning on getting new speakers any time soon. I'm researching for a SS amp to match my new purchase, a DeHavilland UltraVerve pre amp. I really don't have to go with Krell, that was just an idea. I am looking for a good quality SS amplifier though.
Interesting question. OK, my Krell (KSA-250) is more then 10 years old. After a rebuild by Krell, I still think the KSA-250 is one of the (if not the) best power amp I have ever used. Definitely a keeper for me. I am curious though, how does the KSA-250 compare with a 400cx?
The KAV-400xi is a decent Int. Amp., but cannot compare to the FPB-300cx or even the KAV-2250. When in direct comparison to a good Preamp./Amp. combo, the KAV-400xi sounds dead/lifeless/boring. The KAV-280p/KAV-2250 is a decent step-up. The KCT/FPB-300cx is a big step-up, and for comparison purposes, the PASS X1/X250.5 (my current rig) is in another league - as is Krell's own Evolution 202/302. Believe me, the differences were not subtle, there was no need to A/B - no critical listening is needed to discern this entry-level Int. Amp. from top-tier seperates.
The 300cx is a contender as well, if 300 watts/ch is enough for you, as it would be for almost any speaker. I have had it for 6 years and it has all the dynamics and bass for which Krell is famous, plus the sweetness and delicacy for which is previously was not. It's a keeper.

Neal
Lihifi, I've owned all of the above Krell gear and then some....the 400xi is exceptional sounding as long as you pair it with the right speakers. For demanding speakers, the higher power is necessary. I'm not sure anyone else has ever heard a 400xi used with a Transparent MM PC, MIT Oracle V2.2 IC's and spkr interfaces, HiFi tuning fuses, Mapleshade triplepoint footers & maple stand and the top casework off however! My krell res2 speakers have special crossovers that work with the amp by storing energy for each of the drivers so it is available as needed. My MIT interfaces also use the same principle, so the net effect is sonic purity (simplest signal path is best) with the sound of a much larger amp. Some reviewers have noted that the 400xi is actually more delicate and pure sounding in the upper registers. Overall, I like the FPB sound over the Evo rig I had. The new amps are overly complicated, have power filtration on board, are not Class A and react poorly with after market PC's. Parts quality is now off the shelf as well...no more custom Motorola QC'd discrete output devices.