Spectron Musician III - Can anyone comment on it?

I am currently on the hunt for a pair of amplifiers that have massive peak power capability with excellent micro dynamics and neutral presentation. I am driving a pair of Martin Logan Statement E2's

The Spectron Musician has been reviewed exceptionally well everywhere I looked and seems to fit the bill but I just can't get over 25 years of snobbery telling me to avoid switching amps because linear amps just sound better and, hey, the name on the faceplate ain't Krell or Mark Levinson!

Can I PLEASE get a few people with experience listening to these amps tell me why I should or shouldn't buy them?

I desperately want to buy a pair of the BAT VK-600SE's since I own mostly all BAT equipment but to produce, say, 110db peaks one would comfortably need several thousands watts of power in the bucket to meet the challenge. I don't think the BAT amps have that under the hood.

Advice?
sashua
Ok, iSanchez I don't mean to doubt your findings or these amplifiers I just said what I heard in the specific system.

Regards,

Michael
Hello Argyro,

Nobody doubt your sincerety. The two questions I ask are:
a) did you hear standard, Signature or latest Mk2 - well broken-in or..... not and
b) much more important question, we all respect Spectron for its "honesty" and I wonder if that you heard was some deficiency of some of the components in the system of your friend simply masked by his previous amplifier.

Again without doubting you your observation I am afraid I
can only suspect that Spectron unmask some imperfections in the system.

All The Best
Rafael
Hello Audiograils,

I fully agree with you that Plinius is first class amplifier - one of the best there is. I owned a few. BAT is also very good amp - I have extensively auditioned VK600SE with a number of speakers.

To my regret, I disagree with you on Musician because I own Musician right now and as much as I like Plinius (and BAT) these amplifiers are in different classes. Pure and Simple

If you will A/B them, particularly on the long run then you will see what I am talking about.

All The Best
Rafael
Hi Rafael!

It was the standard edition. I suppose it had more that 500 hours on it. The thing is that the sound was so unrealistically sweet and I really cant blame any of the other componenents in the specific system.

Maybe it hadnt fully broken in, maybe it was the systems fault (that I doubt very much). Anyway.

Regards,

Michael
Argyro: Actually, I agree with you. Standard Edition's highs were bad. Even in Nov 2006 TAS review of many class D amplfiers their all amplifiers highs were critiszed.

However, in January 2008, Neil Gader of TAS wrote rave review of Musician 3 Signature Edition - check TAS archives

and now we have Mk2....different animal all together and much, much better then Signature. Read Don Shaulis review on Stereo Times

Thank you for clarification. Now, I can sleep knowing that I am not totally deaf

All The Best
Rafael