Integrated amp for Totem Sttaff

Hello all. I am new to the site but have been ravenously reading reviews and posts the last few weeks. I am in the proccess of replacing my 20 year old Boston A 400's with the Sttafs....Now my dilemma.I am currently running a Denon 2106 and have found a helpful dealer selling...Naim, Creek, Sim, Cambridge, Arcam. I am seriously considering jumping in the deep end of the audio pool and get a new power source as well to match....My problem..The dealer is a 3 hr drive away so auditioning the Totems and the matching amps is possible, im hoping your experince may help me have a better starting point if im to drive that far....I know other brands are out there, but I dont have access to viewing them, let alone buying them. Im hoping $ 1,500 cdn will put me in a good spot to get the most from the Totems...Thanks in advance.
mxwizard
Classe and Creek integrated are good ones too. You just need to ask your dealer to loan you an integrated Classe or Creek to test them with your Sttaf.

When in doubt, trust your own ears.
With respect to Hieule, I share a few different opinions on the gear.

Although I certainly agree that towers like the Arro and Sttaf offer an advantage in terms of value when you factor in the need for high quality stands and greater lengths in wire; the Rainmakers are overall the more versatile product. The Sttaf, although designed to work with a wide variety of electronics, tends to only sound its best when paired with tube gear and placed in small, sealed off rooms. It also requires fairly precise positioning; as most Totem's do.

I completely disagree with the Forest being a bad value. In fact, it may be the best value in the Totem line. For 3.3k, you can an efficient, nearly full range two way tower that is not that particular with electronics, not that particular with room placement, and can work in rooms big and small. You get great sound quality, the holographic stuff that Totem is known for... and uses the HiVi woofer that does the same thing the Dynaudio woofer does, only its more efficient and has greater cooling dispersion. Now, I can't argue if one doesn't care for the sound of the Forest as that's the thing subjectivity is made of - but when you compare it to the Sttaf (limited to small rooms), the Hawk (insanely picky to room and electronics), and the Arro (limited bass extension and output).. the Forest is an exceptional value... and in my humble opinion, is one of the single best values Totem Acoustic has to offer.

Oh, and lastly, THE ONE is 3.5k. Expensive yes, but still a good ways away from 5k. That's Mani-2 territory!

Hieule5, if you're reading this - please understand that I'm not attempting to discredit or nit-pick you. I'm just offering up a different opinion is all. :)
I still suggest that the Naim entry level integrated is the one I would look at first - at least for solid state amp to go with the Sttaff's. The new entry level Moon is good too, perhaps more neutral but less of a toe tapper than the Naim. Tubes? Yes, but I would definitely listen first.

Some of the gear suggested by Hieule5 is going to be quite pricey - unlikely to find near the suggested budget of $1500, even used. Sim I-7? Great amp. $1500? I doubt it.
I'm gonna stick my neck out in another direction. This is such an inexpensive, safe approach it's almost risk-free.

How about an Onkyo A-9555 class D integrated amp? At its suggested list price ($799) it would be competitive, but you can get it at $500 and below almost anywhere (e.g., J&R, B&H, and Amazon, which has free shipping and a 30-day trial period). And you'll need that 30 days because it takes a good 75-100 hours to break in. I hooked up an iPod and FM tuner to break mine in 24 hrs/day. By the third day it began to astound me. It has extraordinary speed, clarity, and transparency combined with a particularly articulate and extended bass, and an overall natural sense of ease that's usually missing from inexpensive fast, detailed amps.

Can't say how it sounds against a Naim, but I like it better than what I've heard from Creek, Rega, and Cambridge, including specifically the 640A. It sounds more like a 150-200 wpc Musical Fidelity, and even there, I think its midrange is a little smoother and more natural than the MF's.

It should be an excellent match with your Totems as well. Its 85/170 wpc into 8/4 ohms fits your STtaffs' recommended power of 20-100w at 8 ohms. The Onkyo's ability to deliver current should help your STtaffs perform at their potential in bass extension and clarity, and will also bring out the best in Totem's strengths in speed and clarity.
Sorry folks I don't want to hi jack the thread here.

Mr. Rumadian don't get me wrong sir:-)) I used to own 2 pairs of Rainmakers (my brother inherited them now) and recently switched to Dynaudio DM 2/10 to keep things simple. But I still own a Totem Storm (a great sub and I have to give this credit to where it is due, Vince Bruzzese and his team)

I do admire Vince's work on the Arro and the Rainmaker (speakers for the working class people) However, Totem does have some sub par products like the Lightning, Mite, and Rokk.

The Mite is probably the worst speaker that they ever produce. I do A/B listening between a pair of Mite and a pair of Usher S520 and the Usher, at almost half the price of the Mite, beat the Mite hands down (high, midrange, and bass definition and extension) They were both driven by a very Denon amp that cost less than a $1K.

I then autioned the Forest. You are absolutely correct that Forest sounds very good and they look great for the money if WAF is a must to you. And I have to say that Forest has a group of followers. Well it is a practical matter that Totem used Hi Vi drivers. I was thinking about upgrading to the Forest but after I learned about Hi Vi drivers man I was disappointed with Totem. Their only redeeming product is the Rainmaker for their prices.

I do think that Forest is a product that is overpriced for what they are. Vandersteen 2CE and Dynaudio Audience 72 may not look much to you but they are very viable options for the Forest. As I said earlier, if WAF is not a must, anyone would love to own a pair of Vandy or Dynaudio Audience 72 any day. And these 2 speakers are not very electronics friendly:-))

Btw Mr. Rumadian, if you are into tube, check out the Dynaudio DM 2/10. I used NAD C162/NAD C270 combo or a NAD C372 to drive them and place them on Sound Anchor 22 inch stands that I purchased from another kind Agoner here. Man, they are simply stunning at low listening level with all music genres, jazz, vocal, rock, hip hop, classical and what have you.

If you check with your Totem dealers, I am sure they would tell you that they sell more Arro/Rainmaker/Sttaf/ and maybe the Hawk more than Model 1, Forest, or Mani 2:-))