What is the proper way to dispose of old tubes?

Are tubes considered hazardous waste? Do they require special handling to dispose of properly? Or are they just regular trash that can be disposed of in the garbage?

Note: I am not looking for responses of the type, "I don't know/care, I just throw them in the garbage." I have a bunch of burned out old tubes that I want to get rid of, and I want to do so in compliance with applicable requirements.
jimjoyce25
Trelja- It wouldn't take much voltage to get the filaments lit. I'd like to see pictures of that(no doubt: every other AudioGoner would too)! Ya know- I never thought about that fact(women are from Venus). Is that why they're so acidic, er- acetic, OOPS- I mean acerbic?(there I go again) =8^) Have fun at the AudioFest.
Lighting your Christmas tree with illuminated vacuum tubes could well qualify you for a Darwin Award.
The filaments of most of our tubes only take 6 or 12 volts to illuminate. Way less than the 120 most strings require. Actually- Vacuum tubes would be safer on a tree. NOW- If you wanted plate voltage applied, THAT would be another story(and just might earn one a 'Darwin')!
Trejla and Rodman,
Where is the LOVE?
Mercy, mercy, me...

OK. Now that everything's kool and the gang, send me your tubes. I have a friend who is a master artist. He would love to have any tubes to use in his art.
Please don't throw them away.
Oregon- Sometimes LOVE has to get tough! If one can't have fun- What's the point in all this? Next time a tube toasts, I'll have you in mind and donate to the cause. Do donors get pics of the creation(s)?