Preamp for McCormack DNA-125 Gold? Budget $2k

Any ideas for a preamp match for my McCormack DNA-125 Gold upgrade? It is actually just short of Gold (I didn't have $1750 to spend on the upgrade, but did have $1500, so it is close). My speakers are Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signatures (not very demanding). I have been using a CJ PV5a preamp: not the best unit, I know.

My budget is $2000 used (or new). Should I pursue a balanced preamp and then consider getting the amp upgraded with balanced IC's as well? That adds another $500 to the cost of the amp, but I could always do it at a later date.

My other option would be to sell the McCormack and get a good integrated for $3500 used. Not having heard any good ones, I don't know if this would best a decent preamp and the DNA-125 Gold.

My musical tastes tend to be classical and jazz.
chiho
Jp,

I am using the balanced Promethius Ref 4 TVC into a pair of older DNA-1 monoblocks with very satisfying results. My monoblocks are an older pair with 100 kOhm input impedance. If I recall, most of the later revisions by SMc audio use a much lower 10 kOhm input impedance. If that is the case with your rev a, you might want to stay away from the resistor based passives like the placette. TVC's like the Promethius might be a better way to go. I can't comment on comparisons with active pre's because I've been using passives for the last 15 years. In the case of the Promethius, its an inexpensive experiment to give one a try.
JP11801 - Brownsfan is correct - your DNA-1 Rev A Balanced has an input impedance of 10KOhm. This limits your passive choices somewhat - transformer-based designs (TVC) units are your best bet, and resistor-based designs (with conventional volume pots or stepped-attenuators) will not match well. TVC passive designs have made quite a few audiophiles happy and are worth looking into. It takes an extraordinary active preamp design to deliver the kind of transparency you are getting from your direct connection, but you may also find it difficult to get the same level of dynamic impact from a passive design.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio
My DNA-225 Platinum, matched with a Bent NOH passive, sounds both transparent and dynamic through Vandersteen 5's. As I've mentioned previously, the only amp upgrade I'd really consider is monoblocking with a second 225. I'd also like to try the new McCormack pre.
I should have said that I'd like to try the new SMc Audio pre (designed by Steve McCormack), NOT a new McCormack (of Virginia) pre.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1232331348&/SMc-Audio-VRE-1-reference-prea
Steve, thanks for you response, so far with a 1.2k cadddock based resistor axion passive I have no loss in dynamics from my active pre and better clarity. I will try the transformer units as well.

When my cash flow improves I'd love to try the RLD fully upgraded as that may be the best of both worlds.