How to go from RCA to XLR?

I've got an Aragon Stage One processor with RCA outputs and two Aragon Palladium 1K monoblocks with XLR inputs. I know there are a lot of RCA-XLR cables available, but a fabricator told me you have to know which XLR pins are "hot" and these have to match the amps' input circuitry or you will damage the amp.
So how do you know which pins to make hot when you order the cables? When you buy these cables "off the shelf" are you just hoping you get lucky and they match up with your equipment?
Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xnoslop
Al the reason they don't offer balanced inputs for stereo is because they are using the two separate channels combined to make the amp balanced. One channel drives the positive and the other the negative. In stereo mode they wouldn't be able to drive the pos/neg legs of the balanced signal and keep a true differential balanced config. That's the reason you probably should not use an RCA adapter to convert an amp to single ended in this type of design. A friend had an ARC amp that only had balanced ins and was warned by a tech at ARC not to use an adapter on his amp. Balanced and bridged are closely related it appears.
Rww -- yes, but they still could have provided balanced xlr inputs for each stereo channel, and then fed those inputs into a pair of differential receivers with single-ended outputs. The single-ended outputs could then have been fed into the same path that the single-ended rca inputs in the actual design are fed into. That would add the benefits of a balanced interface and cabling, without changing the internal architecture significantly (other than the addition of a few components).

they are using the two separate channels combined to make the amp balanced .... That's the reason you probably should not use an RCA adapter to convert an amp to single ended in this type of design.

Well, ok, I don't have sufficient familiarity with this type of design to comment on this.

Regards,
-- Al
See pages 28 and 29 of the following paper for a description of how to feed a single-ended signal into a balanced input without major degradion of noise performance. My thanks to Shadorne for calling this paper to my attention.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/generic%20seminar.pdf

Regards,
-- Al
My thanks to Shadorne for calling this paper to my
attention.

You're welcome - Bill Whitlock used to work at Capitol Records - he is a member
of IEEE and AES. What he says is obviously designed to help raise awareness and
promote Jensen products but he shoots straight! I would not hesitate to use his
products.

Sounds like you need a single ended to balanced transformer like the Jensen model.