ARC LS26 versus Cary SLP-05

I am trying to figure out a preamp for a system that I am putting together. While I know I may have to do some selling and swapping to get the right fit, I am trying to minimize the amount of that I have to do. Here is the system: Magnepan 20.1 (on order), Cary 500MB (500w/ch solid state monoblocks), Cary 306 Professional SACD/CD player, and amp tbd. I have a local ARC dealer (from whom I am buying the Maggies) who can arrange an in house tryout for an ARC LS17 as he has that in stock, but not the 26 which seems like is universally praised. I do like the sound of the LS17 as I heard it being fed by a dcs stack ($50,000!). Anyway, I listen to primarily classical (all sorts) with some jazz thrown in. I have extensive experience in live classical music performance (as a participant) and value sound that is musical, lifelike, not harsh in the highs, and with a realistic soundstage (one of the main attractions of the maggies). Price seems about equal for these two units on the used market. I could buy a Cary, audition an LS17, and sell the Cary if I liked the ARC better, but then I would feel guilty not buying from the ARC dealer and, of course, then the LS26 would be more $$. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts.
luvwine
Just fyi: there is an LS26 or two available now on Audiogon for around $4,000. There is a Cary SLP-05 also available for $4,000. The LS17 ARC lists for $4,000 new. ARC Reference 3 is just over $6,000 used on Audiogon and a bit more than I want to spend, I think.
get the LS-26. I auditioned the 17, 26 and ref 3 and while I would have dearly loved the ref 3 the LS-26 won out do to budget restraints. My buddies and I felt the 26 was well worth the extra money over the 17.
What will prevent me from buying less than the LS26 is the beautiful front panel. It's similar to the Ref3 which I like very much. I know the panel has nothing to do with the sound but I like ergonomics and aesthetics too. The LS26 and Ref3 have those plus great sound in spades.