Acquiring an awesome system, but how?

At this point I am making some changes to my system that may raise eyebrows as have in the past. But it's my money and my ears so here goes.
If one was to count all the makers of high end stuff and multiply by how many pieces will be included to create a system one would get the statistics of possibilities of combinations. I bet it's as high as our deficit, did I have to bring that up?
Well it mind as well be infinite because no one can even approach a fraction of all the possibilities.
I still haven't picked up an atma-sphere mp-1 preamp, so every now and then I look at the forum and see some suggestions for preamps to see if something comes up with raving reviews.
Well most of us know it's mostly synergy that makes a system excellent.
I thought the experienced goners can shed some light and offer suggestions as to what will make lasting purchases.
On my end I was amazed at how good the atma-sphere m60 sounded while it was running, now it is on hold till some things get resolved and so now I am back to the sim w-5 and it still satisfies. But I would like to do some more comparative listening, because the atmas sounded so good. I have no intentions of letting go of the atma's by the way.
I am still after the mbl sound and will be experimenting with some non-mainstream designs. I have some good ideas that will take time to bring to fruition.
But as for the reason for the thread, please share with us what systems made the biggest impressions and how one achieved them without breaking the bank?
Please include what systems sounded the best to you.
pedrillo
hi bvdiman:

it seems that you are using some kind of equalization, or way of voicing your stereo system when listening to problem recordings.

suppose you could not access a "linearizer", would you then try to set up as color-free stereo system as possible, or live with a euphonic, softe sounding stereo system which loses some resolution and focus ?
I believe that there are really only 3 different types of sonic reproduction given the level of many of the listed systems here on the pages of Audiogone , and those to which most subscribe to attain …

Hmmm that’s pretty good! Yes siree!

Oooh, now that’s special!! No question.

And then there’s

Oh, My God! That’s amazing!

My stuff is somewhere around the second aspired to plateau, or a mite above. IMO. For me the final level of providential exclamation continues to be more a myth than ever a realization.

I’m very OK with that tact too.

Assigning ones goals up front enables greater clarity as one proceeds.... if one knows in advance what is truly the heart's desire.

If listening to any or all recordings is the aim, regardless the quality of it, some compensations must be made if only one system is to play them all… good bad or just plain poorly done discs. IMO. These allowances may well be time alone, or money, or both.

I’m not too keen on pop music but I do dabble in it somewhat. Most poorly done recordings I own stem from the rock genre almost entirely. Older rock to be more specific, though some are done quite poorly today too.

Apart from the overly emphasized treble, and db levels taken into saturation, I find many sounding quite dry. Anemic in fact… as compared to those from genres wherein good recordings are a staple rather than exception… such as jazz, opera, symphonic, vocals, folk, modern bluegrass and other’s.

I can play any and all on my main system without regret or being ill at ease. Alternatively however, playing them on less resolving systems does allow a better experience. Many of these rock oriented classics weren’t intended to be revealed over high end gear in the first place. Consequently using less articulate gear for playback, though still above average, seems a proper fit there.

A matter of taste also runs deep in attaining a desired level of reproduction of course, and that burden lays on the shoulders of those who would bare it.

With $$$ a prime mover for me, I’ve gone thru extremely analytical, sparklingly clear and dynamic sounding rigs to a more refined yet still more resolute system. Along the way the euphonic warm and velvety sounding rig was also enjoyable… for a while. Ultimately my tastes prompted me towards a combination of the euphonic and greatly revelatory mix as a listening preference. One which can play the greatest majority of music without need for major exchanges in components to accomplish such an end product.

Tubes were in the end the answer for me… completely and in conjunction with SS from time to time, showed yet another portal to the sound. If nothing else it was as an alternative perspective. Combining tubes and SS in the power train has distinct advantages in broadening ones latitudes in music perusal.

Amassing a lesser revealing system came by the trickle down facet of gear acquisitions. Much of my initial purchases form that rig. Other entries found their way to it as time passed and the main unit grew. HT played a part in it all too and presented another opportunity for gaining more flexibility.

Ultimately however, in my own case, compromise as it is a part of life by and large, is also a prime factor in my own ambitions and the components I own project just such a philosophy without inordinate sacrifices to signal integrity.

The greatest relief or comfort I enjoy today with my various audio arrangements was wrought by my recognition and acceptance of the principle of and act of compromise being one of inevitability, more so than one of choice.

If one is a member of the few, the proud, the uncompromising, congratulations… I’m sure it will be an immensely gratifying and enjoyable experience for you. However, I have to admit I share just those same experiences and feel most OK with less expensive ordinance on hand, as I think it’s all must a matter of perspective and good sense that allows anyone to achieve lofty goals in audio recreation without remarkable expense. Especially if one checks their ego at the doorway to this endeavor
suppose you could not access a "linearizer", would you then try to set up as color-free stereo system as possible, or live with a euphonic, softe sounding stereo system which loses some resolution and focus ?
Mrtennis

< Mrtennis,
Now you've got me cornered.. No doubt and without question I'll go with the later. As I want to be able to enjoy 80% of my beloved cd collection, more so than the remaining 20% of the audiophile varieties which I don't really care for that much anyway. I may choose the first "IF" given most discs available in the market are recorded flawlessly, but in real world, I'm afraid that's far from reality? Though I must say vast improvements have been made with some of the more recent releases, but still, what to do with my treasured collections of past..? So for me it's still have to be the later! Live, yet softer euphonic musically satisfying set-up.. ;)
... OR eg.,m above, another or secondary budget system for under $1500 ONE CAN LISTEN TO THEM ON WITHOUT IRRITATION.

I can assure you that plan works quite well.
Using your ears is a must. I have listened to many pieces of fabled kit over 30 years of hi-fi, and some have been sadly most disappointing. In the UK, it's much easier to get demos (either in a shop or preferably at home), as the density of hi-fi shops is much higher.
For me, the 'revelation' purchase was a pair of Avantgarde Duo horns. that has been the buy that has transformed my musical experience most in the last 30 years. Next was the purchase of my TRON tube pre-amp (www.tron-electric.com) and then my Allaerts MC1B cartridge.
I go to lots of gigs (more than 20 a year) and we have lots of music at home. 4 pianos at home including a Steinway Grand, drums & trumpet get played on a daily basis, so I know what real instruments sound like.
It is more difficult in the USA, as getting to hear some piece of high end kit can be very difficult.

Good luck!

Charlie