Girlfriends and wifes, how do YOU cope?

I would be very interested in finding out how one manages to justify (or sneak in the home) expensive audio equipment without having to sell your soul to the Devil? It's quite a challenge for many of us I think. I heard of someone buying a Bel Canto DAC and telling his girlfriend that " Oh it's just a $ 100.00 power conditionner", or whatever. Seem like we need to get creative here if we can pursue this crazy hobby much longer! Regards All...
ampman66
What a shame. I assume that at 14 years old he was at his prime hearing age.
Elizabeth, I hope you buried him with the portion of the musical library that you dislike. It would be a shame to listen to a great system and come across a song that suddenly reminded you of unpleasant times.

One thing I got to know.......Is it true that if you play Acadian music near the alligators they are mesmerized and don't snap at your shovel whilst burying the departed?
My best break was w/ my mother in law. We auditioned speakers together (the full A-Physics range) and my wife caught on! Although she considers audio as my (expensive) "toy" she does enjoy the wine scene Angela describes. And she appreciates "voudou" tweaks such as cones, shelves, etc, as long as they improve the reproduction of her favourite concerto (read Angela again).
BUT she'd never admit or discuss that -- go figure!

Overall, I'm lucky. Now, if I could get the MIL to finance the next mega$ upgrade...:^)
Greg, I'll give you three tweaks and a small box of cables for your mother-in-law! How about just for a week or so? I bet you and she could clean up by having her tour the country and helping more Audiogon spouses see the light (er, hear the waves) ;-)
Oz, you're onto something there. Thanks for opening my eyes! Now, how do I get this one past the wife....