Girlfriends and wifes, how do YOU cope?

I would be very interested in finding out how one manages to justify (or sneak in the home) expensive audio equipment without having to sell your soul to the Devil? It's quite a challenge for many of us I think. I heard of someone buying a Bel Canto DAC and telling his girlfriend that " Oh it's just a $ 100.00 power conditionner", or whatever. Seem like we need to get creative here if we can pursue this crazy hobby much longer! Regards All...
ampman66
1 - get her into the sound of the system (even if you have to listen to horrid eighties music).

2 - make small changes on a regular basis - and ask her to give her opinion of the changes they make.

3 - choose a part of your system that you can roll over on a regular basis without changing the basic sound or spending much money at all ... then swap that part out just for the sake of change as often as possible.

4 - be open and honest about the costs involved in 2 & 3.

5 - make your major changes after she supports the small changes ... don't treat big changes any different than the small ones.

This strategy has worked for me very well as of late. One year ago my system was monitors on wooden milk crate with electronics not nearly as resolving as I would have liked. In the past week my wife has signed for the deliveries of my Hales Rev 3s and Classe CAP-150. She's actually on my case to get the CAP into the system so she can hear how it sounds!
Girlfriends and/or Wives are NOT allowed entry to the extra space at my office, where I can and do spend many selected late hours listening at whatever volume I wish, drinking whatever I want, with whomever I choose, to the components of MY choice.

The a/v system stays in the house.
Stereo: "listening at whatever volume I wish, drinking whatever I want, with whomever I choose". WOW! What's the magic formula -- do you offer consulting services?
This isn't Mr Deiselr it is Mrs Deiselr. I just happen to have some free time to spend on the computer because Mr Deiselr is in front of OUR system giving our 6 month old, Baby Deiselr his last bottle and it is a beautiful thing. The pursuit of wonderful, fulfilling, enriching music (because that is what the system provides) is a worthy endeavor. When system purchases are desired to be made in our household it is certinially not at the expense of the mortage and I do admit that even at a "good" time I sometimes have a bit of buyers remorse. Anyway, I guess my point is that one partner shouldn't be deceiving the other (there is no excuse for that) and this nice girl who has a problem with how much her significant other spends may want to count how many pairs of shoes she has, or how many make up counter $14 lipsticks she has. Smaller price tags but same principal. By-the-way, the last comment from Gregm......I bet you don't have a women around long enough to keep them away from his equpiment (stereo equipment that is)