Amp for desktop system?

I'm in process of building a new desktop system for my home office and need to choose a standalone amp (not integrated) for whatever speakers I purchase. Any input would be much appreciated - I'm getting lost digging through the forum archives!

Details: Nearfield listening while at the computer (3 ft), small room, up against a wall/window, lower volume levels so the "first watt" principle matters a lot.

System will be PC Apple lossless iTunes -> External DAC/Pre combo(Beresford 7520) -> Amp(TBD) -> Speakers (TBD - Likely Totem Dreamcatchers/Mites, Epos M5, or Usher S-520). Music is all over the board, alternative, jazz, female vocalists, eclectic misc stuff.

Sonic preferences - I really value a spacious, airy sound with fluid vocals. Soundstaging is a priority (contrary to my layout, I know) and an open detailed sound is more important than pure dynamics, probably won't get played loud much. Tight accurate bass is more important than a deep low end or slam, esp with my small speaker choices.

Budget is $250-450, used gear here on audiogon is the likely source.

Any suggestions on what brands/models to consider? I get totally lost looking through the classififeds.

Am I on the right track with the rest of the components? Still trying to decide on the speakers but am leaning toward the Totem Dreamcatchers (4 ohm speakers) after demoing them yesterday.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
sheldonn
I have the Nu Force Icon set up (amp/dac, speakers, 'sub') and love it. I am really impressed with the whole set up. You would no longer need your existing DAC though.

For perspective, my main listening rig is Rotel CDP as transport to a Headroom max amp/dac combo, KAB modded Technics 1200, PrimaLuna Prologue 3 preamp, Wyred4Sound monoblocks and Gallo 3.1s.
The idea of a small Class T amp seems very appealing. My DAC already just sits on the desktop, so I wouldn't need to move an equipment rack into my already crowded office.

The small Virtue Audio One unit seems like a particularly good choice.

For speakers I'm leaning towards the Usher S-520's after doing some test listening yesterday at a couple local dealers. I liked the Totem Dreamcatchers (demo'd through a very small 15W class T amp) but felt like I'd need to go to a 2.1 system in order to get passable bass.

Are there any other small amps similar to the Virtue Audio or NuForce?
Sheldon,

I have the Nuforce Icon amp/pre-amp/DAC and it is a really cool unit. However I have not yet used it for a desktop system. But I'm moving into a new home next month and will be forced into a desktop system as I'm losing my music room. I may end up buying the Nuforce speakers and sub for the system and ripping all my CDs to iTunes on a Mac Mini.

Here's another interesting choice that I am considering:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/qinpu2/system.html

6Moons loved this Qinpu system and preferred it to the Nuforce rig (but I believe the Nuforce was tested without the new sub).

I think speakers designed for the extreme near-field distances dictated by a desktop system have a potential performance advantage over traditional bookshelf speakers.

Enjoy the hunt and please report back on your choice as I think there are many people who are looking for great desktop sound.

TIC
Another option Sheldon...

[url]=http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-
amps/power-amps/headroom-desktop-stereo-amp-120v.php>50 watt
Headroom Desktop Amp uses Bang & Olufsen ICEpower technology.