The audio research arc line- from top to bottom.

I have been searching for a balanced tube preamp for some time, recently started to look at the arc line.
I understand that the ref-5 is the best at the moment. I am curious what is second best? Is it the ls-26? Or the ref2 mkII?
Where do the others fall.
pedrillo
Sorry, but the REF3 is better than the LS26. I never before would have said that with conviction, but Audiogon member Theo has a LS26 and he borrowed, from a dealer, the REF3. I went over, (THANKS again Ted!) and took quite a few of my demo CDs to listen to. We spent about 3 hours listening. I was WOWED to say the least. The LS26 is a great preamp, but the REF3 is in a different league.

I heard more bloom and air around the instruments and a much wider and deeper soundstage. Better and lower bass response and more edge detail in the upper frequencies.

I haven't heard the REF5, but Theo has and said that it is even better than the REF3.
In addition to what MoFi mentioned about the short time I had with the REF3 I will add that my LS-26 did improve performance with the 6H30-DR tubes from BAT. These have brought the LS-26 to it's peak performance. However even at the peak performance the LS-26 is still not a REF3. And as mentioned as well the 5 exceeeds the 3 in every dimension. So based upon personnal experience to answer your question, a firm no, the 26 doesn't out perform the 3.
And with all the extra circuitry in the 3 compared to the 26 it is my understanding that most of it is dedicated to the power supply. It seems contradictory that more circuitry is required to make itself disappear from the signal path. Oh and your welcome Brad.