How to get the system sounding live?

I have just made some changes to my system and feel I have gone in the right direction.
For those of us who are trying to get their system to sound live as in performances with acoustical instruments mainly classical and jazz among others such as folk, what type of system sounds right or closer to live? Forward or laidback?
My apologies for the lack of better terminology.
I just recently changed some components in my system, and now my system sounds so much better as in closer to live, it sounds less forward than before.
What has been your experience in terms of getting that live sound- forward or not forward?
Also I should point out my system sounds better now at lower levels. Is this a good thing?
pedrillo
Plato,
Yes I totally agree, stress relief is so important, in fact I am so happy with my system that I think I will stop looking for upgrades and start brewing beer. How's that for a secondary hobby and stress releif.
I brewed 15 years ago, and now that I found a great woman to acompany myself in the kitchen we just brewed our first batch last weekend, I wish all my audiophile friends lived closer for the homemade brew and great
Have you done any room acoustical analysis?Maybe there are some first reflection points causing problems as well as behind speakers and corners if in the listening field.
Good cd recording? how about your source? Speakers? I tried a bunch only to discover one that would give up the sound. How about cabling? the Vdh speaker cables I tried really muddled the sound compared to the supra 1.6Not much difference with the other high end speaker cable I tried I found that by putting the speakers, on tops, off the carpet man did the bass come alive. I read of an inexpensive solution for vibration control. tried it. cant say for sure,but after rocking the speaker so hard that the ban.speaker plug vibrated out i got to thinking probably a good ideal to isolate components.Then anynite of the week I can put on allman bros @ fillmore east and i,m there Front and center Every instrument very clear a stage presence for sure.Ill say that at the proper volume almost all cds I play are as if your in the room. very satisfying.Imaging in the middle. separation of instruments.the leading in and ending the notes sharp quick.Have it from friend that wall plug is a big improvement also. Good Luck