tubes for Jadis JP-200

Just bought a Jadis JP-200 preamp and wanted to retube it. Most of the line stage has telefunken and it sounds good but I would like a little more sparkle in the top end. Anyone have any experience with this unit.

Carey
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcarey1110
I have owned a JP-200 since 1993. During that time I have had it modified, and then restored to factory specs. I have used Telefunken, Ei, RCA, GE, Tesla, and Electro-Harmonic gold-pin 12ax7 tubes and have always returned to the Telefunkens. I have achieved a brighter sound but never any sparkle unless the Telefunkens are in the system. The Ei tubes were my second choice.

During the modified period, there was greater top-end sparkle; however, the unit also lost all of the musical characteristics for which one selects a Jadis product! To be clear, I do not recommend this option.

An idea, audition Mapleshade planar power cords (the active version with battery box) on the JP-200 or, on your power amps. This will change the balance somewhat, but not the character of the Jadis -they do open up the top end in a rather natural way.

By the way, what is the production year of the unit? I ask because this advice may not be as applicable to more recent production units --later than 2001.

Mine uses EF86 tubes. Like Ejmac70, over the 20 plus years I've had Jadis preamps I have preferred the sound of Telefunkens in these units, both EF86 tubes in the JP200 and the 12AX7s in my previous JP80MC. I tried Mullard 12AX7s for a while in the old preamp and felt they were brighter but not as well-balanced tonally; if you use this type tube you might try them to get that added "sparkle", though I too feel it's more brightness than sparkle. Other good EF86 tubes I have used in my current unit are NOS tubes from GEC and Amperex; these have sounded excellent and I consider them on a par with the Telefunkens in my unit. I have in reserve, but have not yet used, some Electro Harmonix EF86 tubes intended primarily for guitar amplifier applications--some day I'll try them, I imagine they might give a brighter overall presentation.

As an aside, I also agree with Ejmac70 about being careful about modifying Jadis equipment. Other than Andy Bouwman's "Romantic Era" mods he made to my JP80, I have not heard any mods to these units that don't lose the Jadis "sound" that you pay the big bucks for.