Enough SET Power for Rock and Roll

I'm still trying to figure out what SET amp would sound best for Rock and Roll (and other music but especially Rock) on Klipsch Cornwall II speakers (101dB efficiency) in a room about 18x13 (with kind of medium acoustics - not live, not totally dead.) On a Marantz 2230 (which sounds very good, surprisingly good for being ~35 years old and 30 watts of solid state) I found that when I crank up the Rock and Roll on the Cornwalls I'm listening from about 89dB to 97db, but frankly if I wasn't worried about clipping or blowing out the speakers or receiver I could probably enjoy an occassional 100 dB :) - but if I have to live at 97 dB and below I could. (Measurements made with a Radio Shack meter set on fast, C weighting - taken from 1 meter away from the speakers, and also at the main seating position which is about 10-11 feet from the speaker plane.)

From many posts here and over on AudioAsylum it sounds like a 45 SET amp would sound great but might not have enough oomph - although that isn't 100% certain. It seems that a 2A3 SET amp would have a better chance of handling the loud music and the "complexities?" of Rock (and orchestra music) vs. say simple instrumentals and vocals. Next up would be a 300B SET, more power but some people seem to think it gives away some of the "magic" of the 2A3 and especially the 45. It isn't so clear to me from reading the various posts how any of these tube types do on the low end; I think low end (reasonably deep and tight) is needed to do Rock and Roll well - but so is good midrange and highs, so it's a balance, of course.

What do you think, more power and listen loud with ease, ie go with a 300B, or can a 2A3 or possibly a 45 do it all? Or is it possible that SET just can't do Rock and Roll seriously with 101db speakers in a 18x13 rom? In which case, next up is what kind of tube amp? If SET makes sense, I'd like to give it a try but I don't want to push physics or the budget too hard with experiments that aren't likely to work.

Thanks!
hi_hifi
I've heard the Jolida fx10 mentioned in that article do a surprisingly good job with a pair of Nola monitors. I could see it doing very well with Zu's. THe author seemed to like the Miniwatt as well. Will have to check those out.

How about Zu versus Klipsch in general for rock/pop music using a flea powered tube amp?
845 SET is the ticket. On 101db/w/m Zu Definitions, I can cave in my skull on clean heavy rock with 25w of 845 SET drive. You can also try PSET 300B at similar power, or 211 SET at about 16/16w with surprising drive. But unless you go for exotic big glass like the KR T-1610 or the Audio Mirror 6c33c SET monoblocks, 845 is the only SET for rock'n'roll. You can even find a few options for PSET 845, but you don't need it with 101db speakers.

Phil
I've listened to Klipsch Cornwall IIs with 45 SET Welborne monoblocks. I like to listen to rock and reasonably loud in a room about 18x14 or so. I think the 45s drive enough volume to just about get there. Would a little more volume be nice? Yes, but it's not that far from being enough. The 45s and the Cornwall IIs do very well together from top to midrange to bottom, but if there is one of the three that could go a little more it would be the bottom. I've tried other amps (more to get some deeper low end than to get more volume), including tube amps up to about 100 watts but the 45s are still the winner overall. I've also tried a Marantz 2230 and it's a very good receiver, but the 45s do a better job. Over course, the whole thing is somewhat system and room synergy dependent, and YMMV, but I think if you try 45s you might be happy to very happy, you will have a good frame of reference, and if you find something you like better you will probably be able to sell your 45s (I think 45s are becoming increasingly popular as more people learn about them). Let us know what you do and how it goes.

PS, the real answer is this whole think can be a trip/journey; so be prepared to have two of everything (amps, preamps, turntables, cartridges, speaker cables, ICs, etc. You will be able to A-B, settle on a winner, sell the loser, buy a new contender, and repeat; wash, rinse, dry, and repeat :)
this is an old thread but worth reviving- if you get an SET amp, and your speakers are truly that efficient, you won't need no damned 100 decibels to hear and enjoy the music.  you'll find yourself turning it down to 50-60 decibels and about 2-3 watts per channel, and you'll be hearing ALL the music, all the detail, with no ear fatigue- and you will listen longer to your recordings, and enjoy them more, and will be hearing details and vibes that you never knew were there.  when I first stumbled upon single ended sound, I was on the high power solid state trip- which is like some druggie chasing their first high, but never achieving it again.  solid state is all about bass hit and volume, not detail and smoothness.  what I found was a 12ad7 driving a 6bq5, per channel, is all you really need, if the PST, OPT, chokes, caps are all high quality, and my speakers are run of the mill consumer grade Technics 97 db/w/m rating from the 1980's.  what I did find was the 15" woofers are a must have for decent bass.  going down to a 12" or 10" just sacrifices too much.  still every nice sound but not quite enough for rock music.  I went the single ended PENTODE route.  simply because they are plentiful, cheap, and sound very good for a tiny investment.  the 300b is the top of the heap in SE sound.  it has that thick, syrupy sound that makes you want to close your eyes and fall asleep listening to it, which is what I like. I did tests with voltmeter and decibel meter in my 28' x 14' listening room, with speakers in upper corners of one long wall, and the sound is AMAZING.  the soundstage is UNBELIEVEABLE. I'd never go back to solid state except for maybe an outdoor party where volume was needed.  and what I found with the dB meter was, it only needed 50-60 dB sound level- not 100 dB.  and with the voltmeter, I took measurements and found out I only needed 2-3 watts per channel to achieve this.  realize your 101 dB rated speakers, only need ONE WATT to achieves 101 dB, 3 feet away from the speakers.   if you had 3 watts that would be plenty and your wife would be bitching to turn it down.  the great perk of these tube stereos is, you can listen all day and a relatively high level, and after 12 hours of listening, your ears are no phased at all.  no ringing or muffled hearing.  it saves your ears. 
ps- let me add, if you can see both your speakers in a picture of video view, they are too close together. the speakers have to be at least 20-25 feet apart to get the soundstage to emerge- the farther apart they are, the BIGGER THE SOUNDSTAGE. this is a simple but well kept secret amongst experienced veteran tube-stereo audiophiles. having speakers 10’ apart creates a tiny soundstage in miniature. mine are 28’ apart and the soundstage is HUGE, like a real concert, with depth that sounds like it’s 30 feet away in the front yard, and forward towards me only a foot away, while the speakers are in fact 14’ in front of me, to each side. yet the 28’ space between the speakers, creates a realistic soundstage with individual singers, instruments, etc. with drums to the background, just like sitting in the front row of watching a real band on stage. or, what you get is the effect of exactly where the mics were placed at the live recording, for instance the live Zeppelin double LP, it sounds like the stage is maybe 30’-50’ away, because that’s about where they had the mics to record it.