What pre amp to use in my system?

I have a B&W CDM 9NT and a Rotel 1080 power amp. I am looking for a preamp. I tried a Adcom GFP-710, it is quite good, alot of dynamics, tight bass, but I feel it is a bit too bright and got fatigue sometimes. I like to listen to female vocal, violin, cello, soft jazz. I am looking for a preamp that will produce smooth, warm sound with good dynamics and sound stage. I don't need alot of bass that I don't listen to rock. My budget is less $400. What would you recommend? I am open to both tube and SS. There is a local guy who build and sell tube preamp. If you were me, will you buy home built tube preamp?
gte357s
The 400.00 price for tubes is tough;the MFA Magus would do what you are looking but is over your limit;maybe a offer a little over your limit would fly maybe not.
I found a used Rotel RC 1070 at a decent price. I will give that a try. I think I won't lose much even I don't like it and sell it back out. If that doesn't work for me, I guess I will try out the home build tube unit. That guy seems to build quite alot of tube preamp and amp, and seems to know what he is doing.
BTW, there is a Meridian 562v selling for $300. It seems it is a good price. It seems it is a processor and preamp .. is it a good unit for the preamp? I can't find any review on it. And since it is a much older unit, is it worth the effort to get it also to compare with the Rotel, and sell one out later?
I got my RC-1070, it is not as musical and dynamic as my previous Adcom preamp. However, on the other hand, it is not as bright and not as harsh.
If you feel the Rotel is not the near term answer for you, I suggest on the budget end looking for a good used NAD preamp. It will be more musical. For a slight step up, and just above your curent budget (more like $600 to $700) - I suggest looking for an older Audio Research or Conrad Johnson. Performance of the last two will be leagues ahead of the Rotel or Adcom.