FLAC, WAV or AIFF question

I run audirvana plus on a Mac laptop in iTunes integrated mode. I have always downloaded AIFF hi Rez files. Another hi Rez site offers WAV and FLAC both in 24/96 resolution. Should I download the FLAC file since it takes up less room than the WAV file? Will my Mac recognize it even though I use audirvana for playback?
jc4659
The advice above (although accurate and well-intentioned) doesn't take your whole situation into account.

Audirvana+ in iTunes integrated mode will allow for you to play either FLAC or WAV files from within the iTunes interface. I suggest FLAC over WAV as far as download format to reduce hassle re: metadata. However, to make these files playable you need to add them to your Audirvana+ library. This creates a small pointer file that shows in iTunes and tricks iTunes into finding the FLAC or WAV files and playing them.

If you are running A+ version 1.x, this was the common way to go. However, version 2.x is a different world, because A+ now includes full database functionality when run WITHOUT iTunes integrated mode, and the sonic benefits are substantial. Granted, your might have some hiccups making the change to running without integrated mode, but IMHO it's worth it for:
- better sound quality
- no need to convert file formats
- no need add iTunes track to A+ library as described above

Downsides: Need separate new remote app for iphone/ipad control (works great, but I am still more comfortable with Apple Remote app)
Messy to restore some missing artwork after making the changes

If you just want to stick w/what you've got now, you can convert the FLACs to AIFF before you add them to your iTunes library using MAX or something similar, but that won't take advantage of the sonic improvements recently made with A+ 2.2 etc. Cheers,

Spencer
I started with my entire CD library ripped to wav; sounded better than FLAC for local hard drive play. However once you try to stream music WAV sucks big time for meta data tagging and no sound difference versus streaming lossless FLAC; all mys music is now FLAC. Since AIFF is an Apple only, evil empire format I'll never use it...
For myself, I download WAV because I think it sounds better than FLAC. Once I have the files on my hard drive, I transcode to FLAC and MP-3. From there, I put the WAV files on a backup HD, so if there's ever a problem, I can go back to them and start over. This way, you don't have to make any sacrifices.
Thank you all for your responses. This is very helpful since I'd like to try some downloads from sound liaison.
I am concerned with sound quality and so after listening and comparing wav was my choice. Many of us tend to make these choices based on the current state of our systems which at this stage may not be revealing enough to show up the differences. Even so, I'd listen and decide for myself.

I would also add too that how you rip, including what software you rip with along with how optimized your computer is, is critically important too. Believe me, it's painful to find out your errors after you have ripped over 6k cds. IME, some of these overlooked details can bring as much dividends as major component upgrades.