SS amps for merlin vsm

hi
I am using merlins with AA prestige SACD, Filarmonia amp and cardas GR
cables. would like to buy a SS int amp. ($ 5000) How is plinius 9200 with merlin vsm. anybody tried this ?

thank you
masilu
The Merlins (for better and worse) are more revealing of the upstream chain than any other speaker that I've heard. So.....

You might want to try a tube amp that allows rolling. I've recently been using my VSMs with Prima Luna 6 monos that allow a wide variety of tube choices. I've tried a half dozen different output tube types and the results varied widely. I know that Bobby (and many other folks) prefer the EL-34, but there's a lot of tube sound in the territory betwen that tube and SS.

You might well find that KT88s get you a combination of tube/ss sound that appeals. It will definitely be a more SS feel than EL 34s. I ended up running KT66s (which kind of split the difference between KT88s and EL34s) FWIW.

OTH, you might prefer SS....

Marty

I tried few KT 88 based sterio and monoblocks and found good bass response..but the sweetness of EL 34 was lost

the KT 88 based amps i tried were not class A

Fila in 25watts class A EL34 based amp

may be KT 88 in class A will do good

but i am looking for a simple solid state integrated amp that will go close to EL 34 mid and KT 88 bass

If you have to have tubes for your Merlin, go Ars Sonum.

If you're worried about power (and I think the 25wpc is not enough, myself), have you heard about/looked at the new (some time this year) Gran Filarmonia? Ask Bobby about this one or Google it. It's not up on the web yet except as a rumor w/some spy shots. Its a real looker.

That said, I would personally recommend 120wpc or more for the Merlins. And then add better cables. If you've never tried something other than Cardas -- and you're using tubes on them -- then you've never heard what these 2-ways can do. It's punch-a-hole-in-your-chest bass, but something I never got with a tube amp. Any tube amp.
08-14-11: Masilu

but i am looking for a simple solid state integrated amp that will go close to EL 34 mid and KT 88 bass

When you find that, please let us know:)

Anybody tried Musical fidelity amps with merlin ?

I will be doing an audition on Primare ss integrated and sim audio power amps with Modwright pre in my room this weekend...

will report