Frequency Response: 29Hz-45kHz +/-3dB
Physical Attributes:
1x - SEMIT Supertweeter
1x - EMIT Tweeter
1x - 3" Edgewound Voice Coil Polydome Midrange Driver
1x - 5" Polypropylene/graphite Diaphram Polygraph
2x - 12" Cast Frame , L/C Tuned Woofers
Dimensions: 59.5"H x 21.5"W" x 8"D

My room is 12'x12', I have $2500 budget and would like to play music off my computer. I need amp(s), a preamp, and a DAC i guess (is the DAC necessary at my low of a budget range?). I know my budget is low so I will be shopping for very used/old equipment. If anyone has any experience, suggestions, or words of wisdom, they would be very much so appreciated.
Thanks,
JT
jtiesel2
Don't want to be a jerk here with only negative comments. Sorry. You want good, very loud sound for 2500 bucks or thereabouts? Look at the Zu Soul for around 1800 bucks/pair, and pair it with a Peachtree Nova integrated amp for about a grand. Sell the Kappas for about 1200, and now you've got a about a Grover left for your used source components. That combo will play MUCH louder than the Kappas, even with vertical bi-amping of Krell MDA 300's (which you'll never find for 2500 dollars). The Zu is a genuine 101 dB/w/m efficient speaker, so it will blister your ears with a SPL of 120 dB with just over 130 wpc using a ss amp rated at 100 wpc into an 8 ohm load. I think the Nova is rated at 100 wpc. Furthermore, the Nova is an integrated amplifier, so your need to buy a premap just vanished as well. That combination, the Nova with the Soul, garnered some very nice comments at some big audio shows. You'd need about 1000 wpc to reach the same SPL using the Kappas. That's not a joke figure- it's being generous using a base sensitivity of 90 dB/w/m for the Kappas. Just a thought.
Alright, Alright, I'm gonna listen to you guys (not attempt to power these Kappa 9's for $2500), no matter how harsh you make it seem. But I already have a home theater system consisting of some infinity's and JBL's and a decent Denon amplifier so I'm not gonna spend my budget on new audio equipment. I actually inherited the Kappa's about 7 years ago so they can stay in storage for some more time until I'm out of school when I'll get them running and get back on here and brag about how incredible they sound. Until then thanks for your discouragement, j/k =D
Oh Minorl, totally! I was thinkin bout starting with a pair of Krell MDA 300 Mono's, keeping the Kappa settings to "normal" mode (as opposed to "extended"), not gettin crazy with the volume, and workin my way up from there! Thanks for the good idea with using the CD player too! Lets turn this into a naysayer-free zone plz!
Jtiesel2, if you can store them until you are ready to power them with sufficient amps,you will be greatly rewarded by their sound. When powered correctly and matched with an excellent preamp and source, they are sublime. I own four pair of them. Hang on to yours, you won't be disappointed.
You may want to look at some of the professional gear for the Kappas.
Pro amps run 2ohm loads all day long for years, I don't think the Kappas are going to provide a problem.
You may be suprised at the sound quality of some of the better amps on the market, and they should be within your budget.

May be a viable option with some research.