Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Update- I've had an interesting Saturday to say the least. Let's just say it tunred out just fine by 6:00pm. I started out with a brand new preamp that didn't work. In the process of switching back and forth I managed to mess up my power amp too. But by the end of the day and a $150 later, both units were in operation once more (only in NYC). I manage to find replacement tubes for both the preamp and the power amp, plus I found a person to repair both the units all in a span of 4-hours.

The preamp apparently had a "short" of some kind besides the bad rectifier tube. Mick says "that's the oldest line in the book". I don't really care so long as the units do what they're suppose to.

Right now I'm just enjoying my Bhudha Bar-II Dinner CD. The only thing stands out about the pre is, the gain control is way too sensitive (almost to the touch) but Mick provides several ways to adjust for that. I shall sign off for now so I can focus on the music.

Many thanks to Bmotorcyle, Bwhite, Rmml as well as Mick for all the moral support - I needed it today.

Jewel
Hi Jewel, got your message yesterday. Sorry I was out of town visiting my sister. Glad to learn you've resolved the problem(s) and your preamp is working.

As for the gain, I agree the HIGH gain setting is very sensitive and actually quite difficult to use in most cases. The LOW gain setting works much better for most applications - but can still be rather high compared to other preamps.

Let us know how things progress.
Boy I just love the comradrie of this group. There must be something indeed special about these products. Too much positive energy. Just the waiting, anticipation, trials and tribulations and finally the support from each other, it is one of the best sides of this hobby. My pre-amp just went out a few weeks ago, maybe its a sign? Almost ordered one on my last post but deferred due to the delays in shipment. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Fiddler we haven't heard from you in a while. What is going on?
Syrah+ARC100 vs NAD2400+NAD3400
My other components- Aerial 10T, VPI MK3, Fanfare 1L, HT
yea, I can feel the difference tube vs SS but sometimes I just wonder these investments and time are worth. Now, this is my 4th years to get back to tube. In my SS days, I abused NAD anyway I wanted for many years without causing any problems. Many times, I was turned on my NAD system for 16 hours and not worry about anything. Now, I need to worry about tube overheat or I have to go to the web and look around NOS of Tung-sol's 6550 for my amp, 6sn7,..... Oh, I need to find some good guy in New Jersey when I need to re-tube my AMP sometime next year. Can someone help me on this?