Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hey, I think I read a post here some time ago about the suggestion to start a Supratek forum somewhere.

It could be done easily in Yahoo Groups and the information on tube rolling and tweaks would be great. I would be very curious to hear what tubes everyone has rolled so far and the results.

What are the best 5881/6L6GC's that anyone has tried. Did they make much of a sonic difference? If I remember correctly, Mick told me that the 5881/6L6GC's don't make much of a sonic difference, but my memory may be faulty. I have used Svetlana 6L6GC's since day one and I also have a NOS pair of Sylvania's I haven't tried yet. I cancelled an order for NOS RCA Black Plates after reading many guys in the Tube Asylum said they are over-rated and over-priced. Anyone here try them?

And can anyone comment on whether you have heard any difference in 5881/6L6GC's. Obviously, the 6SN7's can make a huge difference and btw, how about the 5AR4 rectifier tube?

Does anyone know if the KT66 can be substituted for the 5881/6L6GC's? I know I can email Mick, but I thought someone here may have already asked him. I am sure he is busy and the last thing he needs is for me to bug him about tubes. However, if no one has the answer, I will shoot an email off to him.

BTW, I remember Todd Krieger said his Supratek power supply ran really hot with NOS Ken Rad VT231's, but that is what I am using and both units are only mildly warm.

I did place my Chardonnay on a big block of Styrofoam and the isolation definitely enhanced the clarity. (I recently put all of my components on thick Syrofoam bases and the difference was very obvious.) Each time I isolated another component with Styrofoam, I could hear a difference. Most passages that were unintelligible before the Styro became discernable after everything was placed on the foam bases. (This has been much more effective than other isolation devices I have tried.)

Oh yeah, another thing that helped immensely was to get my cables up off the carpet. Came up with a really good tweak for that!

Anyway, I have rambled enough, but it would be great if someone would take the initiative to start a Supratek group. (And don't suggest that I do it, I don't have time!)

Well, wait a minute let me think about this....

hold on... let me go over to Yahoo and see how long it will take to set the group up.

Oh, awh right. I did it. I guess I can't ask someone else to do what I am not willing to do. Here is the address, just go to the group and join, then begin posting.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SupratekOwners/

Aloha,

Warren
Anyone know of used Syrah on the market? as impossible as that might seem :)

I'm looking for a good deal on a preamp, and this seems like one that would be hard to beat!
Dennis,
I have been following this thread for 6 months and in that time I have seen 1 Syrah and 1 Cortese for sale. Neither were discounted from full price and both sold quickly.
I know I wouldn't sell mine, even at a tidy profit, and suspect most owners feel the same.

Regards,
Patrick
Does the Syrah have balanced input/output or just RCA? Does the design favor one over the other (usually if a pre has both, isn't the balanced favored)? What is the gain on the syrah?
Hello,

I've had the Syrah for about a year now and my favorite tubes are the Sylvania 6SN7W metal base, Tung Sol 5881, and Mullard GZ33. They all make a difference, most significantly in that order. Some people say the metal base sounds the same as the non-metal base but I disagree. It was a worthwhile improvement in my case. Does anyone have recommendations for replacement tubes in the phono section?