Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
T bone - the remote operates smoothly. Mick uses an Alps pot for the remote controlled preamps.

I fully recommend against having your preamp customized - beyond the remote.

Most every "option" I asked for had a problem. My first Chardonnay preamp was a a dog - Mick realized this and replaced it.

Options I asked for:

A single chassis version. - Mick tried and then 1/2 way through couldn't do it.

XLR outputs - Mick used the wrong connectors and a makeshift (engineered on the fly) transformer output that did nothing but make LOUD hum.

Theater by-pass. After explaing to Mick how this should work, he came up with his own solution and the results were less than optimal. To date, I don't know if the feature works or doesn't.

Remote. Mine increases in volume when you press the down button and lowers with the up button. Silly and quirky but annoying none-the-less.

Subwoofer output - works great but its a standard feature if you consider the fact that Supratek's come with two sets of outputs - one can be used for a sub.

Just get the standard.....it is what it is, not a Levinson. That's the lesson. Bwhite, how is the phono going? Etthan's too? Haven't heard either of you say, so thought it might have been disappointing over long haul, although hope not.
Well, it's been 3 weeks with my Cortese and I am torn between the most wonderful music in my listening room that I can remember (over 30+ yrs) and noisy tube problems. I've got one of Mick's latest Cortese preamps. It was delivered with the adjustable output gain on the back for matching various amp inputs, XLR/RCA's (I use RCA's only), remote control volume (which works perfectly and is a blessing for this old body!), and what Mick states is his latest choice in a tube configuration for the line stage amplification section (1-6SN7 and 1-12B4A per channel). I've now gone through 3 sets of the 12B4A's and finally got a set that won't sit there and "spit" at me. Now one the 6SN7's is doing a "whistling" act. I came from all solid state (Spectral) system and I'm accustomed to quiet. But then again, I've never had music reproduction like this pre gives to me, not to mention that it has reintroduced me to VINYL which in itself is most rewarding. I've ordered a complete new tube set-up in hopes for a reprive from the noise. HELP

I hear you, Ads. I have experienced quite a few quirky noises from the Syrah with some of the tubes I've tried, including Tung Sol 5881s, Ken Rad black glass VT-231s, and now Sylvania Metal Base 6SN7Ws. At first, I simply considered going back to the stock tubes, which were pretty damn good, even if not quite as "magical" as the others. But then the noise lessened some--maybe the tubes "settled in" or something. I really have no explanation, as I am still relatively new in this hobby. There is still some tube chatter occasionally, but I consider the glorious sound the Supratek puts out worth these quirks. I don't know if it is possible to get the Syrah dead quiet with some of the better NOS tubes. Asa, Bwhite, and other veterans can speak better to this. Good luck, and hang in there.