Music Reference RM Mono?

I am using an RM10 MKII (35 watts) with my Merlin VSMs (89db, smooth, high impedance)in an 18x12 ft room. Listen to jazz at moderate listening levels (I think)- it plays plenty loud with 35 watts. I was wondering if I would get any significant improvement by buying another and running them as monoblocks with 70 watts given the type of music I listen to and the size of my room. Any Music Reference lovers try the monoblock congifuration? Better? In what way? I'm think another 3db is volume isn't going to make any difference to me, but....
pubul57
I think Roger is a scholar and a gentleman, having owned one of his EM7s at one point. However, I'm guessing that amp designers don't necessarily have the same priorities as we crazy audiophiles, hence his very practical answers to your and Clio09's questions.

If you're already using monoblocks, then you already have a pretty good idea what the answer is for you.

David
The RM-10 power supply is overbuilt by a factor of 10x. I have to imagine the two channels can coexist just fine with something that overbuilt. Also, with Roger's custom written application for an EL-84 circuit (that generates 35 watts where others struggle to attain half that) the amp is designed to run effortlessly in stereo mode. I just cranked out Machine Gun and Hear My Train a Comin' from Jimi Hendrix Live at the Fillmore and there was no hint this amp was struggling.

The RM-10 was designed to be efficient, reliable, and affordable. IIRC, the main reason for it's existence was to drive Roger's Quad ESL 57's. If there was ever a speaker that required RM-10 monoblocks to drive them, I'd have to think the ESL 57 would qualify.

Like Pubul57 I figured RM-10 monoblocks would just be plain better, but Roger shot straight with me so I'll defer to him. I'm sure some amps are designed to be monoblocks or work better in bridged mode. Perhaps the RM-10 does in certain applications, but I have easy to drive speakers with a smooth impedance curve so perhaps mine isn't the best scenario.

BTW- I also own a set of VAC monoblocks. They're sitting in the closet right now. I'm not even tempted to pull them out even though the weather has cooled quite a bit of late and the extra heat would be beneficial.
Anthony, I sometimes wish Roger did not put that darn mono swith on the unit:) Oh well, I think I might manage to leave good enough alone (for now). Now if I could get my hands on some NOS Mullard EL84s......
I have NOS Telefunken EL-84's and tried them in the RM-10. Roger's stock tubes were just as good sonically, and quieter to boot. I've never heard the Mullards, but for the cost I'll stand pat.
His stock EL84s are Ei? When I bought the amp he was "raving" about the Genalex Reissues, you might want to give them a try in 10,000 hours - $100-120 for a matched Quad from Jim McShane, a bit more from Roger.