Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Dennis, I think you know more technically than me, but I never liked transformers - even less than the so-called "purifiers" like the Bybee. Transformers came first - the big Tice's if you remember, commercially - and I always felt that there was some kind of ultra low level...discontinuity, is the only way I can put it (this in addition to the harmonic denuding, which happened because the pressurized "feel" of air, both within the sound projection ans around it, was reduced along with the mechanical artifacts of distortion). It was as if there was a gross distortion removed - the so-called grunge - but then also this subtle tension was introduced. It sounded like a super high frequency oscillation that could barely be heard, so you thought it could easily be ignored, but it couldn't. Hard to "see" if looking for it, but looking out of your peripheral perception, it was always there, and was quite un-natural. Was it the electro-magnetic fields feeding back into the IC's, or the nature of transformers in general, or were they just not good enough then, or...I don't know why technically, objectively, and there might be a good technical argument why transformers should sound better. But I've found that, like most ideas, even scientiific ones, they are good starting points - good pointers towards the truth, some better than others - but not determitive as far as experience. Although, again, I don't claim to be the expert on conditioners because I stopped listening then some time back, just my opinion.

Mprime, I heard the Supratek with an Aleph 3 amp - nice 'lil SS piece - in two systems, both sounded very nice, and particularly with the NBS Pro IC in between, which kept the Aleph from drifting into too much clearness (my experience with Aleph is that you want to accentuate - not tone, but bring out - its spatial qualities. With that approach, it usually maintains its detail/accuracy performance; but if you go for more detail on the IC/PC, you can sometimes end up with an amp that sounds like its not an SE SS Pass design, ie it sounds more "transistorized" so to speak). I had the Aleph/Supra in that later system for three months, but the NBS improved both systems in the same way. Actually, the Supra and Aleph sound quite alike, although the Supra is more liquid. Great dynamics, clarity, naturalness - just like you hear in the Pass stuff vis-a-vis other SS amps - but more liquidity and continuity in the Supra. If you like the Pass, you will like the Supratek.
I find it interesting that the subject of line conditioners was brought up as I as considering the "balanced power" route. I have been reading some positive things from current owners about the transformer-type isolation devices. See website www.b-p-t.com for more info. I am assuming that Asa is referring to this technology in his description of transformer-type isolation devices. I have also been reading that others like Bwhite and Asa have found that most "line conditioners" in general do tend to filter out some of the music as well as the noise. But I would like to get more feedback from others who have compared the best conditioners with isolation balanced-type units, and who else might agree with Bwhite in fine-tuning good power cords into their system.
Please everyone - don't take what I wrote the wrong way. I am not against power "conditioners" or power "filters". I think they are the most elegant solution for people who need multiple outlets and do not have the luxury of multiple dedicated wall receptacles. In fact, in those cases, these conditioners/filters are a necessity.

That said, I find that the conditioners/filters do have a sonic signature. I do not find that the signature filters out some of the music, I just feel that most of these filters/conditioners do not always jive with every component in a given system. For me & my taste, the conditioners/filters sounded best with only with digital components. In fact, many of these filter/conditioner products are considered "current limiting" (some aren't) and its recommended that amps not be connected to them for best results. I found that amps sounded best when plugged directly to the wall.

My preamp sounded better not plugged into a conditioners.

I felt kind of silly owning a multi-outlet conditioner with only one component plugged into it.

Unique power cords for each component made me feel less silly and I feel I got better results - but required many wall outlets.

Now.. Balanced power is a totally different (I've never used a BPT device) and I wouldn't consider those the same as the filter/conditioner solution.
I agree Bwite. I have never heard a conditioner in my system that didn't have a signature. Power cords for the proper application are a better solution for filtering than conditioning devices IMO. I have gone the mile of putting in multiple dedicated circuits with hospital grade outlets, a couple of those Albert Porter cryoed Hubbles along with a few others. The Hubbles are extremely well constructed and really grab. Contact is so very important. I also use 10 guage wire from the outlet to the breaker, a bit overkill I admit but this whole hobby is filled with that and I feel in excellent company with this crowd. The dedicated outlet/power cord route is probably a better solution for most and should be considered before going the conditioner route and having it end up in a closet or basement. "For What Its' Worth"
Like Bwhite & Tubegroover power conditioners did not enhanse my system. Their suggests to try different PCs and spend the money on better in the wall wiring, IMO is a better place to spend your power money.

I'm currently talking with Maui's solar expert to get off the grid. Yes, it's an investment, but unlike power conditioners there's a long term cost saving in addition to
cleaner power.

Sherod- if you try the bpt products please give us some feedback.

Aloha.