Does a tube preamp warm up sound of SS amp?

I'm thinking of getting a SS amp for my Mag 3.6's to get the power I think I need. Would a tube preamp sweeten and warm the sound? I'm leaning toward a Bryston B4 SST2 amp (but nothing definite yet). Any ideas for a tube preamp that might work with it? Are there any conflicts that I should look for with a tube preamp and a SS amp? Eg, impedance issues, etc? Thanks so much for your help. Laurence
ldworet
"my BAT preamp with the 7BSST amps and had no problems". The 3iX has a pretty high output impedance compared to the other pre-amps in their line.

http://www.balanced.com/products/line/specs.C.shtml

However, I'd be willing to bet that you are getting some low frequency rolloff if you are using the balanced input of the Bryston. You will hear low bass because it's a gradual rolloff. It's something you might not notice until you try an amp with a higher input impedance.
"From what I think you're saying that ARC could work, right?"

Yeah, I saw that on ARC's site. But that's the minimum, not necessarily the optimum load.
Not necessarily but....

As noted previously, once you get the impedance ratios in compliance between the pre and amp, exchanging tubes, rolling them, will allow you to affect the sound without degrading the signal.

How much ‘warmth’ you infuse into the music is almost entirely up to you. The brand of tube line stage is as well another factor.

Older CJs, as I understand it, produce a more mellow, romantic sound. Albeit, these are all subjective accounts being listed here. For my money, I’d offer that the BAT VK5i I once owned when outfitted with the right tubes could be as warm and rich as any I’d heard save for SET outfits. Fully balanced, and a killer line stage, but used eight signal tubes and two output tubes. So a mite ‘spensive to fully retube frequently with NOS tubes..

As good as is the build quality and ease of operation, and it’s exceptionally low output impedance, and now it’s inordinately low cost to buy, I’d look into buying a Thor line stage, or line stage w/phono. Formerly a $10K preamp, and one of the top preamps made in the world, you can get one lately for next to nothing. The MK II or serial number above 1000 would be my suggestion.

Bare bones, purist approach. SE. 4 inputs, 2 outputs. Separate power supply. Esthetically, a real eye catcher. Sound? Quick. Fast. Dynamic. Sweet. Organic. Realistic. No matter what amp follows it downstream, it will sound better. I guarantee it. 4 tubes. 2x12AT’s; 2x12AX’s. 400 ohm output impd.

I’ve heard no late model tube preamps, Cary, CJ, or BAT, which sound euphonic. Overtly warm or romantic. Due only to the tube compliment inside of them, you have the opportunity to slide the warm meter in that direction. Were you to start dabbling with NOS tubes.

Another note to think about is the power consumption or needs of the speakers, and their impedance curves so you may more properly fit an amp to them, as this segment of the line is IMHO more critical than is that between the pre and amp (s).

I think your idea of tube + SS for panels is a very good one… and pretty popular too. Cruise the virtual systems for more pointers and ask more questions on amps for them.

Good luck.
Ckoffend or others, thanks for all the help. What do you think is a warmer sounding amp that will give me enough power (at least 400 watts/channel into 4 ohms)? Also, any thoughts on the Audio Research LS5 MKII Tube Preamp?
Well, VK from BAT just pointed out that I'm all wet in another forum.

However I did my measurements before, I obviously did them incorrectly.

Feeding the balanced input of my Bryston 3B-SST from my BAT 3iX, I just measure the output from the speaker terminals with a voltmeter (HP 400E), and it stays within .25 dB down to about 50 Hz, and is down about 2 dB at 20 Hz. Not optimal, but probably not that audible a rolloff.

My apologies to everyone for the confusion.