Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand

Lisbon--

Jazzdude is correct. I have had the Plinius SA-102 in my system for the past several months now, and it sounds great with the Syrah. Previously, I had Bel Canto EVO 200.2 amps in a monoblock configuration, and while the sound was extremely good, with no real weaknesses I could identify, I still felt something was just missing--a certain "palpability" if you will. The Plinius did make a significant difference. Now the sound is richer and deeper, and yet all the finesse of the Bel Cantos is still there, too. In other words, the palpability is there, and then some. While I am far from an expert and a relative newbie compared to others here, I think the SA-102 is an excellent amp and a very nice playmate for the Supratek. Ignore the lackluster review in TAS this month and audition one for yourself if you get the chance. Email me if you have any more questions or concerns.

happy trails...
What tubes are you guys using in the phono section of your Supratek preamps? I am still using the stock tubes, but I am in the process of getting Mullard 6GK5's. I know the Western Electric 417 is supposed to be good, but they are very expensive, if you can find them. Any other suggestions?
if you still have the dynavector cartridge, i think the we 417a & mullard 6gk5 will be the best,iv'e tried the ericsson 417a,& rca 6gk5 & get too much top end playing my helikon cartridge,yet they were ok when using the koetsu rosewood,try to find cryoed mullards if possible (better through the mids)
I got my hands on some KenRad Black Glass VT231 from a reputable seller and I tried them on my Syrah. I found that while the sound was great, there was a huge amount of 'wind' coming from the tubes. It wasn't a hum per-se, but it sounded more like I was at the beach, listening to the sea. It was really too much background noise, and it was apparent form both channels equally (that said, the sound was great on all but quiet passages). I'm just wondering whether others have had such an experience with the KenRads, or other tubes. I had believed that these KenRads were perhaps the tube of choice for the Syrah/Chardonnay, but from my experience it wasn't the case. I substitued back in some Sylvania 6SN7s and got better results.

I've since applied the KenRads to my Blue Circle BC2 hybrid amps. There, I found the bass deeper (which matches the KenRad reputation) but perhaps at the expense of some treble - which now seems a bit hidden and less delicate (tubes replaced here were RCA Red Base 5692)s. Anyway, I'm wondering whether I should continue to experiment with tube choice, or just call it quits (I was a little disappointed to spend $125 on the KenRads and not get a bang for the buck). Anyway, I'd welcome thoughts and insights from others on potential other selections (maybe Sylvania VT231s, or 6SN7Ws, or metal based variants??).

On another note, my Syrah is totally kicking ass. It got me into vinyl and I haven't listened to a CD in months. I'm so glad I didn't go with the Chardonnay, but took the vinyl plunge (TT is Teres 135, OL Silver arm, Shelter 501Mk2).

Thanks,
Outlier
Hi Outlier, Personal preference and system synergy are mostly what dictate which tubes are best for YOU (and YOUR system).

As for the wind noise... Preamps usually require the highest quality tubes. I have found that mabye 1 in 10 Ken Rads work well in my preamp. The others have that "wind noise" or tube rush or squeek or whatever. Some advice... when you buy tubes from dealers, find out if you can return the tubes if they don't work in your application. Many dealers will give you a refund or find you a better pair.

It took me lots of time and effort to get a stash of mint - sweet and noise free Ken Rad Black glass 6SN7's but for MY system it was worth it.

Also you might check an earlier post I made regarding the three varieties of Black Glass Ken Rads. Each has a similar yet unique signature. If you like Sylvania's in your system, then you would be best off with the NAVY labled Ken Rads Black Glass tubes -- they must say NAVY and not be just any old VT-231. The NAVY's are more extended and open in the highs when compared to standard VT-231's and of course the much "darker" sounding standard 6SN7 (not marked VT-231).

I've gone through many of these tubes and while there are sonic variations between similarly marked tubes, those differences are subtle when compared to the differences between the NAVY, VT-231 and standard 6SN7.