Oh how I wish Class D amps ...

I sure wish manufacturers and designers would move forward as quickly as is possible on improving the current status of Class D amps ... I have heard them all, some in my own system, and they have SO mcu promise !!! Unfortunately they just do not have it down yet. They still sound dry, unmusical, and strange in the treble ... kind of chalky and rolled off, and definitely lacking air.
I long for the day I can get rid of my hundred pound Class AB monster amp, for a nice small cool running amp that sounds just as good. I am worried though that designers and manufacturers have accepted the " It sounds good enough" opinion, and that the B&O Ice power may be a long time before it is "fixed"... sigh.
Just my rant ...
timtim
Check out Devialet. They have a class d/ class a hybrid amp that is getting rave reviews
Devialet must have the worst website and online infor I have ever seen. I tried looking into it, and can't even find power ratings, pricing, or anything else for that matter LOL.
Ya know ... as an interesting note to this ... If you look at MOST of the websites of the digital amp manufacturers, you will see where they boldly offer claims saying their particular amps offer more high end air and sweeter and extended highs than other digital amp offerings ... This alone is enough to hint that there are aknowledged issues with digital amps sound quality. You can find this type of claim on Cheery's, Hypex, W4S, and Nuforce just to name a few.

There own admission of this has to be taken as a concern, or they would never have even brought it up ;-)
Here's the key to Nuforce, must be left on, and warmed up for a day or two before listening, I never turn mine off, you need good power cords, and good power conditioning, and they must be broken in, in no way is the Nuforce dull.
I have the Nuforce Reference V3SE's. They require special setup that includes power isolation, and given their low mass and weight (about 7 lbs) vibration control and weighting on top to sound their best. They are worth these efforts. They respond well to tube preamps and do reveal the rest of the audio chain. Robert Harley of Absolute Sound just purchased Nuforce amps for his own personal home theatre system and praises their sound. He should have pretty good ears and access to top product.